Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,438   Posts: 1,596,929   Online: 1213

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One of the keys with plastic reels is to ensure they are scrupulously clean, and also dry. And, yes, loading the taped part first can be a big help. My darkroom bud could load three Paterson reels with 120 whilst I was still cursing over the tab in the core of a 120 ss reel.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So true, John.
    I was lucky enough to pick up umpteen reels rather cheaply (along with several tanks) which allows me to process up to 10 rolls of 35mm in one hit!
    Also means that I have a lot more work to do when they need to be cleaned every 6 months....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shot a roll today and loaded it on the reel. Probably beginner's luck, but it went surprisingly smoothly. The contacts are drying as I write. I make contacts of every roll or sheet I shoot, but with 10 shots on a roll it's going to be a bit of a PITA to continue doing that, since I can only fit 9 shots on an 8 by 10 paper. The negatives turned out pretty good though, so it's a minor PITA. I'm going to love this camera.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If you leave the reels in washing soda or caustic sode or bleach over night occassionally they will be pretty clean.

If you fold over (after tearing off from the backing paper) the pressure sensitive sticky tape at the beginning of the film back on to the film it will make it a little stiffer for loading.

It is difficult in a changing bag you need a nice cool dark room for 120, that makes it easier.

Noel

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Can't say I've ever had any real problems with loading 120 film in Paterson reels as long as they're bone dry. The slightly tricky bit is getting the film started where I find that the best way is to grip the free end of the film between the forefinger and thumb and pull it through until it's past the little ball bearings. Thereafter the thumbs can be used alternately to feed it through while gripping both sides of the reel (easier to do than describe).

Bill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin