Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,033   Online: 1000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Paterson adjustable reels

I can't figure out how to adjust the size they come in (35mm) to 120. There must be a trick to it, but I can't figure it out. Surely they're not just pulled apart! In any case I've been reluctant to try that for fear of breaking them. There's no directions on the package.
    It's probably something very simple that I'll kick myself for not figuring it out on my own.
    Anyone who's used them got any hints?
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes they do just pull apart sort of. You have to move one side clockwise and the other anti-clockwise to make them come apart. Once in two pieces, you choose the outer L shape to make a 120 sized spool, and then do the reverse to click them in place.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's a bayonet action.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hold one side and twist the other anticlockwise (depends which way you're looking at it I suppose - anyway the opposite direction to that which pulls the film onto the spiral) to release. Slide the two halves apart to the desired setting then reverse the twist to lock. There are more than 2 settings IIRC, 120 is the widest one and 35mm the narrowest.
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't be too gentle with them, takes a bit of force, but follow the advice above and you will be right. Oh, the middle setting is for 127, handy that!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, it does take a bit more force than I was doing, but it works. That's a very tough plastic. Next will come the task of putting film on them. I hope it will be as easy as the 35mm is.
    Thanks again!
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    35mm
    My experience with Pattersons is that I need to actuate the reel more slowly with 120 film than 135 and keep an "eye" (so to speak) on the leading edge of the film as it comes around that first time so it doesn't try to re-load itself. The paper isn't as easy to pull off as it seems with clip-type metal reels, but it's nothing insurmountable.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Maybe it is because I am using Ilford film, but the backing paper when I load 120 is a breeze. When I am pulling the film off the takeup spool, the paper just separates and all I have to do is trim off the end where the tape is holding it on. On the other hand, I have the same problem with the Patterson reel with it trying to reload itself. However, that is not enough to make me switch to a Hewes reel, which is the only other one our local camera shop carries.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like these better than the Paterson reels especially for 120/220. The wide flanges make getting the film started a breeze, and less likely to want to "reload" itself on the first go around. Try to find a couple. They're a little more expensive than the others - the difference in price is about the same as the cost of 1 roll of film. First time you don't mess up, it's paid for itself.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I load 120 on the Patterson reels,, I like to feed the end that was taped first. I don't remove it, just tear it at the film end. This gives me a little more stability on the end and I find it much easier to load.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin