Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,988   Online: 820

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Jobo 2500 for C-41

Hey guys.

I'm finally getting into developing C-41 myself which means I'm going to need to get myself a daylight tank for my 4x5's. Currently I process B&W in open trays but would like to do colour in a tank.

I'm looking at and practically sold on getting a Jobo 2500 series tank, and in reading, it seems nearly everyone writes it off and says to go for the Expert drum. Only problem here is the Expert drums are really out of my price range unless I want to go for 6 months without any film!.

2500 series users, are they as bad as they're made out to be? I know it'll probably be tricky to load and I'm fine with that. I'm just hoping the doom and gloom isn't as real as it appears to be.

Cheers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use 2500 series drums for 4x5 in C41. It works just fine as long as you stick to using 4 sheets per reel (not 6) and use the recommended chemistry and agitation. Been doing it for years for my C-41 negatives and internegatives!

I use up to 3 2000 series drums with 3 reels making 12 sheets per run sometimes.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Fantastic.
    In all my research I has seen a couple of people mention the 4 sheets per reel trick, but they were far outweighed by the "just go for the expert drum" crowd. Even 4 sheets at 270ml is absolutely fine for me.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have used both the expert drum and the 2500 tanks for C-41. I never had any issue with the 2500 tanks, even with 6 sheets per reel. I have the 2509N reels with the clip in plastic baffles. I ended up with two 3010 expert drums and I prefer them, but mainly from a loading standpoint (I don't have a loader for my 2509 reels). One nice thing about the 2509N is it holds 6 sheets, the same as a Grafmatic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used 6 sheets for tests. It works, but I do not recommend it.

The 4 sheet / reel arrangement is best IMHO as it agrees with what Jobo recommends.

I do have the loader but not the clips.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jobo recommended 4 sheets with the old reels. Did they ever recommend 4 sheets with the 2509N?

I've never had a problem with the 2509N. I've never understood why some people do and many others don't.

One advantage of the 2500 is the big tanks can handle lots of sheets.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use 6 sheets in a 2509n reel too and haven't experienced any problems.

Is the recommendation to use 4 sheets based on agitation concerns or the developing agent to film area ratio?

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Developer flow. The 2509N added the black inserts to help with the flow so Jobo said 6 was okay.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Fantastic news. Thanks guys.
    Looking forward to not having to rely on labs any more!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have the ATL-2300 and it is AWESOME, but....

I used the Expert drum and when back to the following. I simply always found a bit of uneven development. This is an excellent and easy solution.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...4380/KBID/4816

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin