Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,099   Online: 973

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Dichroic Filters - Can I clean them...should I?

I'm looking to kind of refurbish a couple of colour heads - D5500 and Chromega D. Is it OK to clean the dichroic filters? If so, what should I use and how should I go about it? My concern is that I don't want to make things worse than they are.

Bob H
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd blow them first, at very high pressure to get rid of as many particles as possible. And if that doesn't work for some spots, then lens tissue and isopropanol.

I have a bath sonicator in my lab and sometimes dunk various filter in spectral grade methanol or isopropanol in that, it works very well. I clean my glasses that way too
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Cool. I'm on my way to Virginia Keith - packing my dichroics and specs now

These will need more than a blowing unfortunately. I just wasn't sure if these filters were surface coated like the mirrors on grain focussers.

Appreciate the response.

Bob H
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All dichroic filters are surface coatings. Most are just much harder than the silver or aluminum used on first surface mirrors.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Bob H.,

I cleaned the ones on my Omega by treating them like lenses.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BobNewYork View Post
    Cool. I'm on my way to Virginia Keith - packing my dichroics and specs now
    Well, there is the postal service
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think you saw some of my threads last spring where I refurbished 3 of my D5500 heads. I used lens paper and lens cleaner to get the haze off. I also cleaned the UV filter in a similar manner.

Also note, if your Magenta does not go to at least 190 then it is not because the dichroic filter, it is likely the color probe green filter that has faded. The Red and Blue color probe filters are the special long-lasting Wratten filters, but the green is a 'regular' Wratten and it fades with time.

Make note of the contacts on the lamp socket. If they are oxidized they can be cleaned, but also that style lamp holder is still available as a replacement from some of the bulb stores.

If your numbers jump around when in 'white-light-calibration-mode' (or if your motors are always 'hunting' in focus/expose mode) you might try DeOxit on the color probe plug. Mine are rock steady after the DeOxit treatment.

Feel free to PM me.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 09-26-2009 at 01:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dichroic filters, especially Magenta ones, do fade. I was getting low contrast with my enlarger using VC BW paper. After checking out everything else, I ordered new filters. The old magenta one was lighter and less magenta than the new one. Swapping them out got rid of my low contrast problems.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Dichroic filters, especially Magenta ones, do fade. I was getting low contrast with my enlarger using VC BW paper. After checking out everything else, I ordered new filters. The old magenta one was lighter and less magenta than the new one. Swapping them out got rid of my low contrast problems.
    Notice I said nothing about printing contrast, just the value 190 on the digital readout. With respect to the special case of the D5500 closed loop system, the weakest link is the one 'non-special' Wratten filter sensing magenta (the green one). This will fade long before the dichroic filter fades. And it will fade before the other two 'special' Wrattens fade.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Ic-racer,

I wasn't disagreeing with you. I'm sure you're right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin