Switch to English Language Passer en langue franaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,827   Online: 1050
      
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30
  1. #11
    RalphLambrecht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Central florida,USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,572
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by WGibsonPhotography View Post
    I was unaware that the chemicals could be ruined by keeping them too cold. I assumed they should be treated like film and paper and kept as cool as possible. Since it's getting old and I only have a liter left, I'll order more on my next freestlye order and get rid of the old stuff. I'll go ahead and take my rodinal out of the fridge and put it up on top with my fixer and stop bath.
    I'm not 100% sure about developers, but fixers don't like cold temperatures. Some ingredients drop out of solution and cannot be disolved afterwards. Ian Grant might be able to add more facts.
    Regards

    Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

  2. #12
    Ian Grant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West Midlands, UK, and Turkey
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,287
    Images
    148
    No liquid chemistry should be stored in a refrigerator, you'll get all sorts of things crystallising out of solution. Ilford list recommended storage temperatures 5–20C, (41–68F)

    If it's powdered Dektol (or D72) made up you'll have problems.

    In addition some developing agents barely work if the temperature is too low, Metol in particular, hence the long exposure times.

    Ian

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Posts
    16,412
    Blog Entries
    2
    you could always see if it is your developer is toast
    by taking a "test strip" of paper
    and put it in your developer with the lights on
    to see how long it takes to turn black ...
    it shouldn't take long at all ...

  4. #14
    mjs
    mjs is offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Elkhart, Indiana (USA)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,106
    Images
    2
    My exposure times using my standard lens had been growing longer gradually over time. I replaced the enlarger bulb and that didn't fix it. I mixed new chemicals and that didn't fix it. I bought a new box of paper and that didn't fix it. Finally I took the enlarger lens out to see if the aperture stops were moving properly. They were fine but the batch of fungus growing between the lens elements were becoming a serious hindrance to the passage of light. I need to remember to occasionally remove the lens and peek through it...

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Trinity, Alabama
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    243
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    No liquid chemistry should be stored in a refrigerator, you'll get all sorts of things crystallising out of solution. Ilford list recommended storage temperatures 5–20C, (41–68F)

    If it's powdered Dektol (or D72) made up you'll have problems.

    In addition some developing agents barely work if the temperature is too low, Metol in particular, hence the long exposure times.

    Ian
    Well, I learned something new

    The Dektol was in there for a few months. It's probably about time I got some more, anyway. I'm fearing for my rodinal, though . It does have some stuff on the bottom of the bottle, but I believe I read somewhere that it was normal for some stuff to form on the bottom of the bottle.

    I just found a data sheet for Rodinal on the internet. It says keep it between 40F and 80F, but the preferred storagr temp is 68F. I doubt the fridge gets down to 40F. the freezer cube in the corner does, though, because there's a layer of ice on it. I dont know if the freezer cube could get the rest of the fridge below 40 or not. Perhaps I sould buy another bottle. It's pretty cheap, and I'm about to order some stuff from Freestyle, anyway. I'll do a test roll from each bottle when it comes in to see if the fridge had any adverse effects on it :/
    "The mind that will not admit it has something more to learn tomorrow is in danger of stagnating"

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Trinity, Alabama
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    243
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs View Post
    My exposure times using my standard lens had been growing longer gradually over time. I replaced the enlarger bulb and that didn't fix it. I mixed new chemicals and that didn't fix it. I bought a new box of paper and that didn't fix it. Finally I took the enlarger lens out to see if the aperture stops were moving properly. They were fine but the batch of fungus growing between the lens elements were becoming a serious hindrance to the passage of light. I need to remember to occasionally remove the lens and peek through it...
    I checked the lens for scratches and fingerprints and stuff when the enlarger came in. I didnt notice any fungus growing, but I will check again when I get home. I'm thinking the problem is user stupidity (keeping chems in the fridge)
    "The mind that will not admit it has something more to learn tomorrow is in danger of stagnating"

  7. #17
    JBrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    6,780
    Somethings wrong, and unless you have a filter in place, or are stopped way down, or both, it's not the enlarger. With no neg and the lens open do you have a nice white even projection on the baseboard? Do you have the same result contact printing? If so, look to your neg (super thick?) and the rest of the process. If your neg is normal, and chems are bad/off temp you would have slow development, but it likely would still develop as over exposed with that length of exposure, even if it took a long time. Paper is more likely, but you should have good chems at proper temp before drawing any conclusions. The most obvious thing after checking your enlarger to fix first is your processing temp, then chems, then paper. With your temps so far off, who really knows? If you get the same result with proper procedure, then you can move on to other things, but a proper process is first before all else, because here you have a variable that you can control that you know was wrong. There is absolutely no reason to keep your chems in the fridge. Room temp is fine. Air is the enemy.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 09-28-2009 at 10:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

  8. #18
    Ian Grant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West Midlands, UK, and Turkey
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,287
    Images
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by WGibsonPhotography View Post
    Well, I learned something new

    I just found a data sheet for Rodinal on the internet. It says keep it between 40F and 80F, but the preferred storagr temp is 68F. I doubt the fridge gets down to 40F. the freezer cube in the corner does, though, because there's a layer of ice on it. I dont know if the freezer cube could get the rest of the fridge below 40 or not. :/
    If your refrigerator doesn't go below 4.5C/40F then it wouldn't be safe for food They switch on/off between about 1.5C and 3.5/4C

    Ian

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Trinity, Alabama
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    243
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    If your refrigerator doesn't go below 4.5C/40F then it wouldn't be safe for food They switch on/off between about 1.5C and 3.5/4C

    Ian
    Good point. I know my fridge has a temperature dial. Hopefully it isnt set to the coldest setting. That might be what saves my Rodinal (But i'm cosidering it a lost cause for the monent :\ )

    I guess I'll order new rodinal to be safe and then try a test roll in the new one and the old one to see if the bottle kept in the fridge has been affected. If so, it's cheap, so buying a new bottle isnt a big deal. If it's fine, then I have two bottles

    As for the Dektol, I have a pack in my Freestyle shopping cart right now. I guess I'll test the new stuff and the refridgerated stuff.
    "The mind that will not admit it has something more to learn tomorrow is in danger of stagnating"

  10. #20
    RalphLambrecht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Central florida,USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,572
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by WGibsonPhotography View Post
    Well, I learned something new

    The Dektol was in there for a few months. It's probably about time I got some more, anyway. I'm fearing for my rodinal, though . It does have some stuff on the bottom of the bottle, but I believe I read somewhere that it was normal for some stuff to form on the bottom of the bottle.

    I just found a data sheet for Rodinal on the internet. It says keep it between 40F and 80F, but the preferred storagr temp is 68F. I doubt the fridge gets down to 40F. the freezer cube in the corner does, though, because there's a layer of ice on it. I dont know if the freezer cube could get the rest of the fridge below 40 or not. Perhaps I sould buy another bottle. It's pretty cheap, and I'm about to order some stuff from Freestyle, anyway. I'll do a test roll from each bottle when it comes in to see if the fridge had any adverse effects on it :/
    Tell others, it's a common misconception!
    Regards

    Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive     Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin