Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,149   Online: 907

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Omega D3

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Moravec View Post
    Buy a cold light head if you still can. Aristo Mfg has been sold. Get an Aristo with V54 tube which has green + blue for VC paper. A color head will print the same as cold light.

I tried all the ways to make a diffusion head from a condenser. They all suck up too much light. The best thing is to put some Rosco diffusion above the condensers. This gets you half way from a condenser to diffusion.

There is no difference materially between a print make on a condenser or diffusion if the neg is taylored to the the type of head. Both have very slight advantages over the other, but you will need to be a very experienced printer to see them and then only if you make two prints and display them side by side. You will need two correctly developed negs used in the correct enlarger to see it . Changing paper grade nulifies the test.
    Thanks for the reply, I'm getting this used in southern scandinavia so ordering a new head from the US for about double the price of the enlarger is a bit out of the question for now. But I really appreciate the last paragraph. Sometimes you focus on things which aren't really important. I might try to dabble together my own LED VC head in the future, to b able to use VC paper. I'm collecting the enlarger this weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can find out more about the Aristo heads here:

http://www.aristogrid.com/cold_light_heads.htm

There are two models, one with the dual bulbs (CL4500)
    and the one with a single bulb for use with filters (CL45) it says for use only with Omega D series. The CL45 is cheaper and faster (I have one with a D2).

I have seen them used, don't know about Europe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Got it on sunday, used it for the first time yesterday, it was love at first sight. After cleaning up years of negligence i did some lovely prints from a few 6x7 negs I had been meaning to print. It was a long time ago I printed from medium format negs, so the results was mind blowing (again sort of..).

Anyway, I have a few more questions now. The condenser compartment, couldn't I feasibly use that as a filter drawer? I would love to use VC paper, and I think I saw a fella on the 'tube doing just that, has anybody done so?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olleorama View Post
    Got it on sunday, used it for the first time yesterday, it was love at first sight. After cleaning up years of negligence i did some lovely prints from a few 6x7 negs I had been meaning to print. It was a long time ago I printed from medium format negs, so the results was mind blowing (again sort of..).

Anyway, I have a few more questions now. The condenser compartment, couldn't I feasibly use that as a filter drawer? I would love to use VC paper, and I think I saw a fella on the 'tube doing just that, has anybody done so?
    Fantastic! I've only had my 4x5 Pro Lab for just over a week, and like you, I'm blown away by the results . Yes you can use the condenser housing for the VC filters. Just slide a 6x6 grade filter ot top of the upper condenser. I was given a set of Kodak VC filters when I purchased my machine, and was given that instruction from the previous owner. He also included a Saunders 16x20 four blade easel on the deal(not to mention a couple of timers and most all of his darkroom gear) I was more than happy to give the full asking price-normally I LOVE to haggle. Enjoy your new toy!!
    Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Standard 6 inch VC filters fit in the adjustable condenser compartment, and this is the standard way to do VC printing with the condenser head.

You can put diffusion material cut to fit in the variable condenser compartment to make it a sort of hybrid light source.

I've also used diffusion gel material between the two bottom condensers and a plastic diffusion disk below the bottom condenser, as supplied with a conversion kit for the Philips PCS 150 tricolor light source. These all work well with the faster enlarging papers, color and B&W that I've used them with if the diffusion material isn't too dense. The Philips bottom diffusion disk was a bit slow for Cibachrome glossy in the mid-80's.

Rosco and Lee sell diffusion materials that would work well.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    New questions! Firstly I lack a cam for my 150 mm componon, I somehow got the impression I would be able to focus anyway, just that I wouldn't be able to autofocus, is this completely wrong? I was going to enlarge my first 4x5 negatives and now have to wait a while. If anybody has any ideas they are very welcome.

Secondly, how much difference in printing times does a new bulb do? I changed mine today and it felt as if I had to stop down too much to get decent times. It was a bit hard dodging on a 3 second exposure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by olleorama View Post
    New questions! Firstly I lack a cam for my 150 mm componon, I somehow got the impression I would be able to focus anyway, just that I wouldn't be able to autofocus, is this completely wrong?
    The focus knob is just to fine tune the focus. That 150mm will require the 421-155 5¼" Cone and 422-325 cam.

What cones and cams do you currently have?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    The focus knob is just to fine tune the focus. That 150mm will require the 421-155 5¼" Cone and 422-325 cam.

What cones and cams do you currently have?
    For the 150 mm I have a cone, not sure of the height, but appears to be in the vicinity of 5 1/4", the previous owner has shimmed the lensplate to the cone with a piece of plywood(!), probably to get 5 1/4. I have no cam for the 150 lens, only for my 105 and 80.

I was told you could use a lens with no cam by setting the 'cam-wheel' in between cams.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is a cone/ 135mm lens/track set on ebay right now

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    There is a cone/ 135mm lens/track set on ebay right now
    Yeah, already checked it out..

I'll probably go thru harry from classic-enlargers and buy a cam for a 150 mm.. If anyone happens to have a 150 mm cam handy they are very welcome to trace it on paper and scan it, or something. It should be fairly easy to have some cut it out with laser if you've got the shape in electronic form.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin