Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,340   Online: 743

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Omega D3

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Omega D3

What's the general opinion on the omega D3 enlarger? Will probably buy one with condenser head anyway, but it would be nice to hear opinions. From what I gather from various internet sources it seems to be some kind of mechanical autofocus with little manual focus options. And that it has a certain maximum print size as it's attached to a base board.

What I'd like to know, more than general opinions is wether it's possible to do larger prints by projecting from a height down on to a floor or something similar. And also, how hard it would be to make a DIY diffusor head to it.

All opinions welcome!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    they are great
    i have one and have been using it for 20+ years ..

harry taylor is the man when it comes to omegas
    if you haven't seen his website it is : http://www.classic-enlargers.com

he knows all there is about omegas ...

have fun!

john
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    what is the maximum print size?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i never print too big, but
    i am sure if i had to, with a 135mm lens
    i could print a 16x20 or between a 16x20 and 20x24 ...
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Dont forget that if you make a "drop table" for it you can make very large prints.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall View Post
    Dont forget that if you make a "drop table" for it you can make very large prints.
    the column also swivels around to project down if needed ...
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images
    I love mine. I have Nikkor 50mm, 75mm and 135mm lenses and the focusing "cams" for it.

The auto focus feature keeps your image in focus as you adjust your overall image size up and down. I use both condenser and cold light heads. I've printed upto 20x24 with it with great success.

For larger printing Omega made a 45 degree mirror that attaches to the lens cone with the same screws that hold the lens panel. You can the project onto the wall an print as large as you want.

I say buy it!

Patrick
    "Hey, I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't tell me how to do what you tell me to do!"-Bender Bending Rodriguez

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    the column also swivels around to project down if needed ...
    This is what I wanted to hear!

The seller also had an AHEL marge-4 easel for sale. Worth buying at the equivalent of $140?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by olleorama View Post
    . And also, how hard it would be to make a DIY diffusor head to it.

All opinions welcome!
    I have been following APUG and the LF forums for quite a few years and the topic of converting condenser enlargers to diffusion by placing diffusing plates under the condensers is not often discussed. This was an option for the Durst 10x10 condenser heads and I think is should work for 4x5 Omega condenser heads. I don't own a condenser head (and almost everyone I know prints with diffuse light) so I have never tested it myself.

In terms of the D3 don't get put off by rumors that you need serial number-matched lenses and cams.

Buy a cold light head if you still can. Aristo Mfg has been sold. Get an Aristo with V54 tube which has green + blue for VC paper. A color head will print the same as cold light.

I tried all the ways to make a diffusion head from a condenser. They all suck up too much light. The best thing is to put some Rosco diffusion above the condensers. This gets you half way from a condenser to diffusion.

There is no difference materially between a print make on a condenser or diffusion if the neg is taylored to the the type of head. Both have very slight advantages over the other, but you will need to be a very experienced printer to see them and then only if you make two prints and display them side by side. You will need two correctly developed negs used in the correct enlarger to see it . Changing paper grade nulifies the test.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin