Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,052   Online: 971

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also try to keep the film holders clean after loading. Just before inserting into camera, remove dust from the edges of the holder and the darkslide. I'm worried dust can get on the film when you pull the darkslide in the camera.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I plan on dedicating a small space as a clean room... well sort of... with humidity control and an oversized stand-alone filter system. I think I'll load my film holders nekked to avoid clothing lint. I wonder if I should shave everything??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes I always strip to the waist when loading !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    I plan on dedicating a small space as a clean room... well sort of... with humidity control and an oversized stand-alone filter system. I think I'll load my film holders nekked to avoid clothing lint. I wonder if I should shave everything??
    Then you have dead skin to contend with. If CSI can find it, so will your film.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Dust is a minimal problem for me.
    I have a room humidifier which keeps my dark room between 50% and 60% RH.
    I also use positive ventilation with the inflow arriving through a Filtrete filter.
    Holders of all sizes are kept in ZIplock type bags unless being loaded, exposed, or unloaded for development.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    Then you have dead skin to contend with. If CSI can find it, so will your film.
    Hmm, maybe I should rub down with baby oil before loading film to trap the dead skin cells. Hey, body builders do it... so why shouldn't I?

[looks in mirror at shiney skin and thinks, "Oh crap... cover up that pudgy old body and just put up with the lint!!"]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    for me, when loading film holders at home, I use the shower...

just wait, I'll explain. Since I'm in sunny So Cal too, I know what you're talking about re: dust

I run the shower on HOT only for a minute or two, give it enough time to steam up nicely. The idea of this is to let the steam grab any dust particles out of the air and take them to the ground. So, after all my family's gone to bed, I run the shower for a minute or two, then close all the windows(after letting the steam and water vapor go out the window, or use the "exhaust your butt smells"(as my little bro calls it) fan in the ceiling(my preferred method).

Then i close the lid of the toilet, and sit down, with the empty film holders on the sink counter next to me, and the box of film sitting on the magazine box in front of me.

I also make sure to thoroughly rid myself of any static before loading film as well.

Of course loading in the dark . I got some black velvet-type material that I clothespin over the windows in the bathroom, and its as light tight as I need, no problems so far!

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I read a tip somewhere that said to tap the film holder on edge against something hard or your hand before placing on the camera back.
    Apparently if any dust etc did make in to the film holder this tip will help dislodge the dust and move it off the film.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Finally, an advantage to us photographers living in Hilo, HI. We receive an average of 126" of rain per year. It's almost impossible to keep the humidity in my controlled darkroom 60%, it's usually 70%. When I don't run my air conditioner with dry control, can read 80%! Our electricity is highest in the nation so can't afford to run my air conditioner 24/7. When it rains day after day, after day, I've gone 2 weeks without dusting, (there's very little dust). No suggestions, above posts pretty much covers all bases, just had to vocalize. {There are plenty of other issues we have to contend with, for one - lens, film, paper grow mold).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin