Switch to English Language Passer en langue franaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,852   Online: 1108

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kaiser digital thermometer

As I need a thermometer that will go up to colour processing temperatures, does anyone have experience with the Kaiser fototechnik model?

http://www.kaiser-fototechnik.de/en/...ge.asp?nr=4091

Silverprint's website claims the Kaiser unit is accurate to 0.3C at 38C, while a few cheap food units claim accuracy to 1C.

As a point of comparison Paterson claims its spirit colour thermometer is accurate to 0.14C, but I presume this is resolution or precision rather than accuracy.

http://www.patersonphotographic.com/...ls2.htm#bottom

Tom

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The Kaiser unit sounds a little expensive just for temperatures. What about this digital thermometer for 20 ?
    Note: I see Maplin also list a clinical thermometer with a range of 32C to 43.9C with an accuracy of 0.1C (34 to 42C) rest of range 0.2C - Currently out of stock, but only 6.49..

edit: I see Boots also stock clinical digital thermometers, but don't give any specs on their website.

RJS

Shooter
    Multi Format

thermometers

Dr. Richard Henry in his book "Controls in Black and White . . ." has a section on thermometers he tested, including some very expensive 'laboratory grade' instruments; he found them appalingly (my adjective) inconsistent, considering their expense and claims. I have a Kodak Process thermometer I purchased some years ago which guarantees a certain accuracy, apparently not to be believed. I paid close to $100 about 25 years ago (a princely sum then) and it has worked fine ever since. I really have no idea how 'accurate' it is in comparison to some standard or other, but I trust its consistency. So since all my processing is measured with this thermometer it is at least consistent. Which is what counts, I think'

If doing it again I would save some money and buy a thermometer that is consistent. I think for our purposes, consistency is much more important than absoloute accuracy

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One precision thermometer sold here for already a long time is the Greisinger GTH/175 (accuracy: 0.2 C)
    http://www.greisinger.de/files/uploa...ukte/kat/9.pdf
    (price: 50-60€)

But I like the idea of using a digital clinical thermometer for 38C processes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too have a Kodak Process thermometer, but I only use it for one thing. I use it to check my $15.00 digital kitchen thermometer. So far, the $15.00 thermometer checks out.

Matt

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've been using one for over a year now and although it's a perfectly good thermometer, one annoying aspect (to me) is the need to hold the power button down if you want a faster sample read time. If you don't, the display will change every 10 sec's or so instead of every 2 sec's.

RS used to make an almost identical unit which I also used and I preferred it until it died.

If I was to buy another digital thermometer, I'd look for the Ilford LED unit that's darkroom safe and gives instant readings.

Mike

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive     Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin