Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,403   Online: 734

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Unicolor Motorized Base & Drum

I have a friend who mentioned he had some old photo equip. his dad used at one time. Among the items was a Unicolor motorized base and a tube/drum of some sort. The base works. I thought, hmm, maybe I can do something with this to do just a couple of sheets of 4x5 at a time. I did some browsing re: Unicolor, and it appears there might be a cap or plug missing for the drum. One end has a funnel-like opening that appears to be light trapped and the other comes to a flat cone like shape with small holes in it. I'm thinking the funnel end is for filling and the other for emptying??? In any event, anyone know where I can find the cap/plug or have a suggestion for a work-around?
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you got a photo, my unicolor only opens at one end, my paterson drum opens at both.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What you have is complete. It's light tight as is. Theres no ribs to hold a 4x5 sheet in place so I'm not sure how you can make it work. Experiment some and see what comes of it.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The tube/drum has a removable cap on only one end. I tried pouring water in the funnel (removable) end and all it did was pour out the other so I assumed it must have some sort of cap to use while filling. From research I gathered the drum was for prints, but I was thinking it could still be used for two sheets side-by-side with a round spring separator to keep them apart. Here are some pics. IMG 0199, on left, is the removable cap end.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0199.JPG   IMG_0200.JPG  

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I used a drum that had a funnel so you poured the solution in, rolled it, and when you picked it up again it drained out the bottom. It was for paper processing one shot chemistry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The colour drums usally used on the likes of 70mL of chemistry for an 8x10 of paper. Ususally there was a cup under the funnel that held the small volume. Turn the roll on its side, and start timing. Turn drum up again at end and the small volume runs out of the drain holes.

The Paterson tubes that I have has a plastic disc with a hole in the middle that goes over the end of the tube before the drain bottom is pushed on to make the light trap to cover the actual drain holes, and to let the tube hold larger volumes of warm up and wash water. Try making your own out of an ice cream container lid that you leave in a colour bleach solution, etc. to turn it dark/black. .
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The motor will use quite a few other drums. A jobo 2551 or bigger for example. Can be found used. Plug the motor into a timer like the Gralab 300 and you've got most of an automated setup.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have and use a Unicolor drum and motor base and that is definately not a Unicolor drum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    The motor will use quite a few other drums. A jobo 2551 or bigger for example. Can be found used. Plug the motor into a timer like the Gralab 300 and you've got most of an automated setup.
    Great idea on the timer. I have a Gralab and will give it a try once I sort out the drum issue. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rmolson View Post
    I have and use a Unicolor drum and motor base and that is definately not a Unicolor drum
    Thanks, that helps.. sort of.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin