Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,784   Online: 872

Shooter
    35mm

Enlarger Donation in Portland, OR

Hi All--

I'm having some trouble finding somewhere to donate 2 enlargers that I'm not using in the Portland area. I'm reluctant to give it to Goodwill, given the likelihood of accessories being lost, etc.

Does anybody know of an organization in the Portland area (preferably a 501(c)3 ) that would benefit from an Omega B8 and a D4? I'd like to make this happen quickly...I really want the space they're taking up back. If I can't find a home for these in the next couple of weeks, I'm seriously considering just scrapping them.

I appreciate any help the community can give me.

--Greg

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Newspace?
    Try some local schools.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    call Newspace and if they don't want them they will at least point you in the direction of a school or an organization that does.

If that doesn't work just post an add on craigslist offering them for free. I bet you anything someone would snatch them up quickly.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Post it on freecycle.org and let them know it's for a student etc....

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hey, I'm a portland student, and can safely say a few things: call Newspace. talk to Laura Valenti or one of her proteges and see if they want them. Pacific Northwest College of Art is already stocked on enlargers for the school, but the head of our photo department, Sally Schoolmaster, would make sure they found good homes with students. Same deal goes for Oregon College of Art and Craft, they just remodeled their darkrooms and got a boatload of new stuff from what I hear. Still, though, every now and then a student is looking for a good enlarger for themselves.

Another thought is taking them up to Blue Moon Camera & Machine in St. Johns. They probably wont buy them from you outright, but they'll probably consign them for you, and their consignment terms are pretty darn good. Other place you could go depending on where you are is Hollywood Camera up on Sandy Blvd, just north of I-84. Fred is a fantastic guy and might even trade you the enlargers for something you need.

Check around, we're a funky enough town that somebody will want them. If nothing else, send me a PM and I'll take them from you and bring them over to PNCA and put a big 'free to good home' sign on them.

But please, please don't scrap them.

Try P:ear, the nonprofit art mentoring program for homeless youth. They have a traditional darkroom and always need stuff.
    www.pearmentor.org
    338 NW 6th Ave.
    Portland, OR 97209
    (503) 228-6677

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pgomena View Post
    Try P:ear, the nonprofit art mentoring program for homeless youth. They have a traditional darkroom and always need stuff.
    www.pearmentor.org
    338 NW 6th Ave.
    Portland, OR 97209
    (503) 228-6677
    P:ear was actually my first choice. I contacted them over a week ago and no one ever got back to me.

--Greg

Shooter
    35mm
    Well...I just wanted to update this thread to say that I found someplace for the B8 (I ended up giving the D4 away on Craigslist to someone setting up a darkroom and willing to put in the effort to make it work).

It's going to the Arts and Communications Magnet Academy in the Beaverton school district.

Now the next question...how do I value it?

--Greg

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin