Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,500   Posts: 1,543,293   Online: 972

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

D5-XL - Wall Brace - How?

I've nearly finished resuscitating a D5 and Chromega head. I got the wall mount, (no problem) and the wall brace. The brace looks like the one I have for the D5500 - but I'm darned if I can see how to attach it to the D5 chassis! Can anyone help.....please!!

Bob H
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good find on the D5. I'm helping a friend look for an enlarger and we put D5 at the top of the list. Are you sure you didn't just get another D5500 brace?

Although I have 3 backup D5500 heads, one of these days I'd like to pick up a Chromega head as a back-back-backup.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have to say it looks exactly the same as the D5500 wall brace. Then, when I look at the B&H, Adorama and OmegaSatter web sites the D5 brace looks like what I got! As you well know the D5500 column takes bolts vertically at the top of the column. This D5 brace is the same, (has holes for vertically "dropping" bolts,) but I see nowhere for them to go. Now it did come with a replacement "L" plate to which the counterbalance springs attach. If I reverse that bracket there are two small screw holes if I added some washers - but, compared to the bolts used on the D5500 they're tiny, and I'm not sure of much use. I guess they'd be sufficient to stabilize the column and it's not like they have to take any great strain. Just seems that two small screws in a solid wall brace like that is nuts.

I haven't got to the D5500 head yet. But I have a list of the links to your threads on it and I'll be all over them! I could well become a pain in your ##s !!!

Bob H

DAP

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Count me in as far as wanting to know the proper method of mounting the brace. I bought one a year or two ago and noticed that there were no mounting holes on the enlarger column to attach to the brace. It has been sitting around since then (too lazy to fab something up). I will probably end up welding some homemade mounting tabs onto the steel bracket at the top of the column (unless somebody knows and is willing to share the secret to attaching it).

Quote Originally Posted by BobNewYork View Post
    I have to say it looks exactly the same as the D5500 wall brace. Then, when I look at the B&H, Adorama and OmegaSatter web sites the D5 brace looks like what I got! As you well know the D5500 column takes bolts vertically at the top of the column. This D5 brace is the same, (has holes for vertically "dropping" bolts,) but I see nowhere for them to go. Now it did come with a replacement "L" plate to which the counterbalance springs attach. If I reverse that bracket there are two small screw holes if I added some washers - but, compared to the bolts used on the D5500 they're tiny, and I'm not sure of much use. I guess they'd be sufficient to stabilize the column and it's not like they have to take any great strain. Just seems that two small screws in a solid wall brace like that is nuts.

I haven't got to the D5500 head yet. But I have a list of the links to your threads on it and I'll be all over them! I could well become a pain in your ##s !!!

Bob H

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm glad it's not just me!! Would have thought someone out there had wall mounted a D-5.

Bob H

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just looking at the numbers,

429-097 = D5 wall brace
    429-901 = D5500 wall brace

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an Omega D6 and the column has a bracket at the top and back which looks like a hook. That bracket attaches with two screws that are one above the other, and are about 3 cm apart.

I just looked at Harry Taylor's Classic-Enlargers site and in his help forum in 2006 he indicated that he was willing to send someone an instruction sheet for the brace .

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't have a brace for mine, but the previous owner left a couple of screws with washers threaded into the top of the D5-XL column which I assumed were for wires or a wall brace. They are the two silver colored screws in this photo:

http://thirsty.smugmug.com/Other-Stu...88472083_65d8J

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Just looking at the numbers,

429-097 = D5 wall brace
    429-901 = D5500 wall brace
    It seems to me that the only difference is that the D5 brace is supplied with another counterbalance attachment bracket.

OK thanks very much all. Matt & Jerry, it looks like I do reverse the bracket for the counterbalance springs and get me some appropriate screws and washers. I think the D5500 threw me off because it has integral thread holes in the column itself which take rather larger diameter bolts. Guess the wall brace is only stabilizing though - it's not taking any load. I just had visions of being found stone cold and buried under a Chromega D!!! (I have very different preferences for what I do want to be found buried under!!!)

Bob H

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Yesterday I went to a darkroom rental place that has been in decline. The owner there had 6 Omega D5XL chassis lined up by the door to be picked up by a metal recycler whom he had sold them to for 2 dollars each.
    Dennis
    I seem to remember they were attached to the walls with wire cable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin