Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,572   Posts: 1,545,650   Online: 987

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Let's keep our fingers crossed Ken as this was/is indeed a worthy product.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Damn... my old oriental seagull head is about to die. I was just searching the net for the aristo vcl 4500 cold light heads when I found this thread. I really hope the complete kits continue to be made. I'd purchase a complete kit and two spare bulbs immediately.

Has anyone heard anymore news re: these heads???

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanK View Post
    I really hope the complete kits continue to be made. I'd purchase a complete kit and two spare bulbs immediately.

Has anyone heard anymore news re: these heads???
    In my most recent communication (about a month ago) with LCD/Aristo I was informed that a decision had been made to discontinue producing the full head assemblies. Presumably this means in all formats. I believe Aristo has all of the product manufacturing tools in storage at this time.

However, Louise did say that she was attempting to get the company to restart production of spare lamps. She has also mentioned working with individuals to help solve some individual issues. I'm guessing this related to other spare parts on a case-by-case basis, but that is just speculation on my part.

There are also purportedly plans to update the Aristo website to more accurately reflect their new, reduced product availability. But I do not know the time frame for this update.

Personally, I am on record as willing to purchase a 2-lamp replacement set for my used VCL4500, if they can be produced. I would also like a D5 enlarger mounting bracket, although I'm going to fabricate my own workaround this upcoming weekend, just in case.

I might advise jumping over to the Aristo website at: http://www.aristogrid.com and clicking on the Customer Service email link at the bottom of the page. Louise is friendly and willing to help, to the extent that she can.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, just sent an email off to Louise.

I read the full thread, so I'm aware of the situation with Aristo. I was just curious and am hopeful (as are others) that another company might pick up the rights to manufacture and distribute the VCL4500 full assemblies.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wonder we some handy APUGers could rig their own ultimate cold light head made out of LEDs? It's low power and no warm up time. Another advantage is that their dimmable which can be a plus with adjusting exposure. If someone makes one. Give me credit for this idea or may be a piece of the action ;-).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was just curious and am hopeful (as are others) that another company might pick up the rights to manufacture and distribute the VCL4500 full assemblies.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
    As am I, although I'm not at all certain just what Aristo's current mindset is.

Revamping their product website hints at their desire to keep the company a going concern, albeit at a reduced level. But discontinuing full head assemblies hints at their conclusion that the current market is unsustainably small. As it was, I think I read that near the end they were only batch manufacturing full assemblies on an on-demand, guaranteed basis, as part of their larger business.

I suppose if they hold on to the tooling there's always the possibility they could return to such a model. I would think that the barrier to that might be justifying the reinstallation of the currently packed-away tooling. And the space to set it all up in. If they hadn't been purchased and required to break everything down and relocate, then maybe they might still be a going concern.

Perhaps if black-and-white photography can continue its modest rebound... and the world economy improves... and enough people email them... or someone with another photo equipment manufacturing company is reading this thread and senses an opportunity... who knows?

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ken,

Like you, I hope aristo returns to manufacturing the full assembly... at least for the vcl4500. Obviously, I'm partial to that model. Even if they only produced them in batches. I'd be happy to order one (plus a couple of lamps) and then "wait" for the production. I haven't been in the darkroom on a consistent basis for a couple of years... waiting a little longer certainly wouldn't kill me. But, to think that this is "the end" of the best cold light head out there would be very disappointing. I'm not sure which, if any other light head, would be worth my investment. I've dabbled in digital and there's just no comparison to time spent in an analog darkroom, to say nothing of the characteristics of a fiber base print.

I'll let you know when I hear back from Louise.

sk

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here's the response that I just received from Louise... it's sad news, unfortunately.

Hi Susan,

I’m afraid that it’s highly doubtful since at the time of

Aristo’s demise there was neither material nor documentation for the equipment.

To restart this kind of product would require a huge outlay of human and capitol expense for myriad of various components that the return on investment is extremely small and more into the negative area.

I’m working on the replacement lamps, but even that is going to be a long haul to re-engineer. I’m trying but don’t know if we will be successful.

Best Regards,
    Louise M. Kessler

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's the response that I just received from Louise...
    Quite interesting regarding the lack of "material [and] documentation for the equipment." I hadn't heard that. On their home page it says:

"We have served the Medical, Scientific, Industrial, Aerospace, Photographic, Graphic Arts and National Defense Markets Since 1939."

Not sure how they fulfilled National Defense Market contracts without boatloads of product manufacturing documentation for Uncle Sam. In any case, having opened up my (new-to-me) used unit just to take a look, I can't see that reverse engineering the old-style discreet component circuitry I found inside would be anywhere near impossible. I realize that a portion of it was probably custom fabricated by third party vendors just for Aristo, but still... It seems to me there's another Impossible resurrection taking place right now. And the degree of difficulty of that task dwarfs what I saw inside my VCL4500.

I'll tell you, Susan, if I had the disposable income I make 'em a fair offer on the whole product line. Then restart it as a hobby just to repay Photography for all the enjoyment I've received over the decades.

Let's hope Louise is successful in her mission to revive the replacement lamps. That would help immensely.

Ken

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hey Ken,

I hope that another company picks up the product line and begins to manufacture them again. OR, that you win the lottery and take over the manufacture.

I searched online for a while last night and can't even find a used one. Made a couple of phone calls to some long time wedding photographer friends with a lot of connections who wrote down "aristo vcl 4500" and said they'd "put the word out" to see if anyone has a used light head gathering dust in a studio somewhere. Maybe I'll get lucky and find one that way.

I could just kick myself for not purchasing one last year, even though I would've had to put it on a credit card to do so (I've been working on getting out from under credit card debt). I've so enjoyed the "meditative quality" of my analog darkroom over the years that I'm just not ready to give it up. Last week I was out walking around with the camera (for the first time in a long time), stumbled onto an area of gorgeous mud cracks (all hail Brett Weston), and made for rolls worth of 6x6 images. The negatives processed great at N+1 and appear as though they will look very nice as 11x11 inch prints... so long as my old light head continues to function.

sk

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin