Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,224   Online: 823

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    well I got the glass today and out the sucker together, I'll be testing it out in the lab at school tomorrow.

I'm going to have to find a new glazier local to me. Mine is way too expensive. 32.95 for (2) 6x8" 1/8" thick sheets of glass with knocked edges. ouch.

But so far, my duct tape hinge seems like it will work quite well.

I've got it wrapped up in a box waiting to be used, so I'll add pictures tomorrow of it in use. and report back as to how it works out.

thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    so,

got the glass, built it, but I'm very dissapointed

newton rings everywhere. And my glazier sucks. I asked for glass that didn't have any scratches, but I got two pieces back that had some nice little hairline scratches.

I'm angry.... But after spending some nice green for these pieces of sh!t, I'm ready to bash heads in.

and all the enlargers at school don't allow me to print full frame (with rebate) from 4x5. yesterday turned from bad to worse.

otherwise, I held better focus across the entire negative WITH the glass carrier than without, but the NR's made my head spin.

any ideas?

I'm getting so hooked on 4x5, but I want to print with the rebate of the film, so the viewer(if they understand what the rebate is without telling them first) understands they're seeing the entire
    frame, uncropped. so they see exactly how I composed it in the 1st place.

I think it adds a little bit of an artistic element too, not just another picture, etc.... but something to be different. cause I like to be different .

-Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You can get enlarger glass from KHB Photo in Canada, and they sell over eBay too. I got replacement glass intended for an LPL 4x5 enlarger - one plain bottom glass and one anti-newton top glass. I made a neg carrier by milling plastic, though mine was for a 4x5 scanner and it seems the scanner can see the texture of the AN glass However, in theory you'll be fine using AN glass in a diffusion enlarger.
    4x5 AN top glass

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    A 4x5 negative usually lays very flat. You could just lay the negative on top a sheet of unscratched glass with a mat board cut out on top.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thanks dennis,

I'll try that. Will newton rings still show up. even with bottom glass only?

-Dan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    .....Will newton rings still show up. even with bottom glass only?
    No. Newton rings normally do not appear between the film emulsion and the glass, so the bottom glass need not be anti-newton ring glass. Also, to form Newton rings, the top surface of the negative must be firmly pressed to the glass.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just to be difficult, I find I get NR with Acros laying on plain glass; maybe its emulsion is smoother/shinier?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    oh well, I'll just have to scrounge up some neg holders(glassless) and file em' out.

its ok though. I'll be only doing color darkroom work for contact sheets for now on after this semester. I don't have the time to do anything but contact sheets it seems right now. And scanning the film gives me the ultimate control I like to have.

B/w though, I'll still stick to the darkroom for sure for printing my good stuff.

-Dan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin