Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,254   Online: 762

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Dear ic-racer,

I actually modified an old Chromega head once. I'm pretty sure you will need a different socket for the 120V bulb. They are pretty easy to come by. Everything else is pretty straightforward.

Neal Wydra
    This bulb will fit in the original socket.
    http://www.bulbdirect.com/products/p...t_id=68&page=5

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The main problem was the dichroic filters and levers.
    I took the assembly apart and cleaned everything.
    The dichroic filters were in good shape and needed to be re-guled to the lever arms. I used silicone glue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The stacks of separating washers were different at the pivot and the sliding ends of the moving filter levers. This was rectified.

The springs were buggered and they were straightened at the ends and put on the correct hooks, so they don't interfere with each other.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The number counters were not making contact with the filter wheels. This was easily rectified.

Some of numbers are rubbed off (How, unless someone kicked this thing around on the ground without that cover plate in place????)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The back panel was straightened and re-painted in a few areas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here is the finished product. Well, almost finshed. I need to do the foam light seals, but I'll wait until I get if fired up so I can test the seals as I go.

I re-painted the numbers by hand with white enamel and a 000 brush (Hey, I do have an art degree, after all).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The small bulb is a 6s6, I found one place that has them for $0.97

Product/ANSI Code#: 6S6/DC 120V

WATTS:6

VOLTS:120

EI PC#:40804

PH#:373761
SY
    PC#:16782

GE#:11592
BASE:BA15d

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OH, wait, what about the 120V conversion???

Well, after thinking it over, I thought it best to do the conversion in a separate box, like the original power supply. This would allow the use of the original single cord that exits the lamphouse. Things are so tight in the head that extra wires could be problematic. Also, by keeping the head original (except for the bulb), it could easily be hooked up to the correct power supply if needed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The ideal conversion box will be a trashed power supply, as it will have the appropriate 6 pin connector. Anyone out there have one?

Also, a 24v transformer can be had for like $10, so it might be worthwhile to just go ahead and put a transformer in my box. I'll see what kind of a box I can come up with.

The ELC bulb is about $10 wheres the EXX bulb is $20. So, in the long run it might be actually cheaper to buy the $10 transformer and use the cheaper 24v bulb.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also, I took the mixing box apart and inspected it. It seemed OK, only a slight yellowing. The the diffusion plastic was quite dirty. I cleaned this well and re-assembled the box.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin