Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,136   Online: 1056

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hey Ic, that looks like it would fit my d5xl perfectly, I wish I had one I never new they were 220 v. good work.
    erik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok, so it looks like someone from the large format forum is going to pitch in a burned out chromega power supply. So my plan at this time is to use that Chromega box and put the $10 Hammond 24V 10A transformer (from mouser.com) into the box.

I'll post the progress...

BTW this head and power supply are getting donated to be put on an Omega D3 that was donated by fellow APUG users for a friend that is starting a 4x5 darkroom from scratch. Kind of a community project. Thanks to everyone that has pitched in!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I made a mistake on my power calculations for the transformer. The $10 transformer is ten times too small. The size I need is in the $75 to $130 range. I need 120V input and 24V output and 250VA rating (not 10VA as I had initially calculated).

So, I'm looking at a transformer like this for about $80: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...0uhE%252brE%3d

Now things have shifted in the other direction, looking like the $20 bulb that runs from 120V might be a more cost effective solution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could use a household dimmer. Hook it up to the head, or an equivalent load (better maybe, probably easier), move the slider 'till you get to 24 volts. Mark the position or super glue it in place. The method worked well for me as a temporary solution to a failed enlarger power supply.
    I used one that had an on-off switch separate from the dimming slider.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting solution. So instead of a transformer, usa an inexpensive triac circuit to chop the waveform.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think I have a good solution. I can get a Molex 5406 in-line female connector. Out of that connector will come two plugs. One goes to the timer, the other goes to a socket to power the fan. That connector is less than $10.

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/630/1117.PDF

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Dear ic-racer,

I actually modified an old Chromega head once. I'm pretty sure you will need a different socket for the 120V bulb. They are pretty easy to come by. Everything else is pretty straightforward.

Neal Wydra
    Yes, looks like you are correct on that. Details to follow....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ic-racer,
    Thanks for the pointer to the molex connectors, it will come in handy for one of my enlarger projects.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear ic-racer,

I think this is the one you want it you change to 120V: http://www.1000bulbs.com/Halogen-Sockets/33389/

FWIW, I changed my enlarger back to 24V (for no reason as it turned out, but I digress) by using a regulated power supply from ebay and a transformer from American Science and Surplus. Unfortunately, those are not dependable sources in terms of product availability.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Dear ic-racer,

I think this is the one you want it you change to 120V: http://www.1000bulbs.com/Halogen-Sockets/33389/

FWIW, I changed my enlarger back to 24V (for no reason as it turned out, but I digress) by using a regulated power supply from ebay and a transformer from American Science and Surplus. Unfortunately, those are not dependable sources in terms of product availability.

Neal Wydra
    That is a regular replacement socket for a D5500. The Chromega head I'm working on would be easier to convert to a slotted socket something like this:

https://www.interlight.biz/light-bulb/SOCKET-C-5Y

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin