Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,026   Online: 886

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    In fact, Gene Nocon suggests not using a scrap piece of paper in his book on darkroom printing. And I personally think that grain magnifier manufacturers have already designed in a typical paper thickness. That's certainly what I would do if I was manufacturing them.

Steve.
    Grain focusers assume that whatever you focus on is directly underneath the focuser. Their focus plane is the bottom face of the focuser. In other words, if you focus on the easel and then expose on the paper, you'll make a small, irrelevant mistake. If you focus on a scrap piece of paper and expose on a paper of the same thickness, you don't make such a mistake, but you won't be able to see the difference.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Whilst you can see the difference between reflected light using black and white easels, I suspect that the difference between yellow and white would be much smaller as a yellow surface will still reflect a fair amount of blue and green light.

Steve.
    Yellow will help, but I don't know how much, because I never used a yellow easel. It can't be better than black, but it should be better than white.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    The effect of the white easel can be compensated with less exposure and more contrast, which is what you probably do instinctively anyway. The only risk, don't mark your prints on the back prior to exposure, as that may leave a tell-tale sign in the print emulsion.
    and from what you say, I can loose some fine detail when I compensate :o

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggywag View Post
    and from what you say, I can loose some fine detail when I compensate :o
    I'm not sure. It is like a double exposure, one is image-based, the other is fog, which hints at a loss of resolution, but I have not experienced a loss of detail, just ugly shadow traces from what I wrote on the back of the print.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin