Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,497   Online: 941

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Looking at Belseler CB7 tomorrow - what to watch for?

I'm going to take a look at a Beleser CB7 tomorrow, but I don't have any experience with them. I'm hoping to replace my Beseler MX45. Do you guys have any tips about what to look for to make sure I can get it up and running with minimal fiddling.

Also, assuming halfway decent condition and including just the basic enlarger (no lenses, etc) is $150 a fair price?

Thanks!
    Chris
    "Technology is a big destroyer of emotion and truth. Opportunity doesn't do anything for creativity. Yeah, it makes it easier and you can get home sooner, but it doesn't make you a more creative person. That's the disease you have to fight in any creative field.. ease of use." - Jack White

Shooter
    35mm
    I think it's fair although I paid $120 for mine delivered with the dichroic head.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I loved my CB7 but why go backwards. I bought mine in the 60's.

Your MX must be 15-20 years newer.

Other than the front controls and motorized focus, the MX is an evolution of the CB7.

Note: lamphead parts for the CB7 are larger than the other 4x5 Beseler enlargers. The condensers are bigger in an effort to get improved 4x5 corner illumination. MC/H/MX/MXII/MXV color and diff. heads require an adapter. Wiring some modern timers thru the front controls may be tricky. it is a 50 year old design.

The only real upgrade from a MX would be a V model. Beyond that its a Durst 1200.

Fred

Shooter
    35mm
    I like the CB-7 a lot better. I like the power tracks in the frame. They work well and eliminate all the wires. I rewired the the whole thing so the front panel timer switch will start the timer. I get rid of the old mechanical timer and the voltage stabilizer. The CB-7 is much more rigid and is easier to align.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin