Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,545   Online: 871

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Beware of Used 45S Beseler Color Heads

I purchased a used 45 S Beseler Color Head and checked it out. Yes, each color worked just fine.

Later on, I noticed that there was a delay between when power was supplied and when the light came on. This delay could be either a split second or 10 or 12 seconds long. Bummer!

Yesterday, I checked out a second 45 S Beseler head, and it had the same problem, though not so pronounced. Again, Bummer!

I've heard of others with the same problem.

You get the idea; be careful about buying these heads used.

Mine's still usable. I plan to swap out the power for the light bulb with a connection to a $60 Variac variable, 600 watt (or so) voltage transformer. That way I can use the same 83 volt bulbs that are intended for the 45 S head. I will also connect the Variac to a voltage stabilizer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have 3 Beseler 23 Dual Dichro S heads and one of them does the exact same thing except the delay can be a split second or 1-2 seconds. Your experience worries me that the problem might get worse.

Any electricians out there who can guess as to why this is happening and suggest a cure?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I use one who's ones digit doesn't appear most of the time. How can I restore that?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You don't need a variac - just put a rectifier in series with the lamp as 1/2 wave rectified 120 VRMS is 83 VRMS. Beseler does just this when they put 83V lamps in an unregulated head.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I read somewhere several years ago that there is a simple fix for the problem. Beseler used to fix this if you returned the head to them, but I believe that they published the "fix".

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Related thread on converting the power of an Omega Super Chromega head: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/6...a-ii-120v.html

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Great Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    You don't need a variac - just put a rectifier in series with the lamp as 1/2 wave rectified 120 VRMS is 83 VRMS. Beseler does just this when they put 83V lamps in an unregulated head.
    Slick! Thanks for this idea.

I'll give it a try. I like this, because it removes a huge variable, which is the Variac. I was thinking that I might also need to get a voltage meter, so that I could reset the Variac if ever it got changed.
    Last edited by Neil Poulsen; 11-04-2009 at 10:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I read somewhere several years ago that there is a simple fix for the problem. Beseler used to fix this if you returned the head to them, but I believe that they published the "fix".

PE
    I wonder if it involved circumventing the internal voltage regulator. I'll bet that would be fairly easy, if one had a circuit diagram as a guide.

I called both repair places listed on the Beseler site. Both said that they couldn't get parts and had stopped repairing 45 S heads. Interestingly, B&H still have new ones up for sale at full price.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just found this. It appears the solution requires a part which may be hard to obtain and the necessity to solder parts onto a board. Not an easy fix.

http://www.apug.org/forums/archive/i...hp/t-8210.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, that is the reference. Thanks for finding it. Opto-isolators are or were sold by Radio Shack. You might also try JDR Microdevices.

PE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin