Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,905   Posts: 1,555,850   Online: 860

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

One simple question for 4x5 Combiplan dev tank newb

Quick and simple. Can I process 12 sheets at a time by placing two in each slot back to back (emulsion sides out)? Read all the other posts to answer my other questions. This is the only one I have left.

In advance, you guys still rock.

Oh, and I only have one tank so if you guys have any special tricks that would be cool too.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can do 12 sheets that way, but I don't know that it's advisable. Make sure you practice loading them in the light first. It's very easy to get two in the same slot when trying for one each, so doubling up has to increase the odds of a story for the darkroom mishaps thread.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks, Bethe.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think in the instructions they suggest putting some kind of mesh between the two sheets so the don't become permanently attached to each other. I'll have to check my instructions when I am not half asleep!
    I am usually satisfied with only processing six at a time in my Combi Plan.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    You can do it, but after fixing, you need to separate them and fix more and wash separately to clear the color from the film.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by papagene View Post
    I think in the instructions they suggest putting some kind of mesh between the two sheets so the don't become permanently attached to each other. I'll have to check my instructions when I am not half asleep!
    I am usually satisfied with only processing six at a time in my Combi Plan.

gene
    Thought it rather odd. Got it from Arista and there are no instructions in the box. Assembly was, admittedly, more trial than error but a little help would have been appreciated. Know what I mean?

I'll probably stick to 6 then. KISS, huh?
    Last edited by Christopher Walrath; 11-07-2009 at 10:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Make sure the curved slots are facing inward and only push the clip down a click or 2.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Figured that and that the straight slots were for plates. Thanks, John.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I am playing around (no conclusions yet) on loading film in my Combi back to back to double up the processing rate.

However, I am using drying screen mesh (you could also use fly screen mesh) to keep the two sheets back surface separate.

There is an anti-halation layer on most sheet film - so the chemicals need access to it to remove it.

I don't use TMax - but if you are, you may find more difficulties with getting it fixed properly.

After playing around in the light, loading 6 off sets of double film sheets seems to be a bit risky (or rather too risky for me) - so I load the outer and inner slots on each side and leave the middle slot empty.

Two sheets of film and an intermediate spacing screen make the film considerably stiffer to load - so make sure the guide slots are nice and smooth - I can see problems with scratched film emulsion without extra care.

I use ID11 at 1+1 - so I have plenty of developer capacity but you might want to check the date sheets for what ever you are using.

Make sure you wash your films properly - there is only going to be a very flow through the mesh - I am working on the minimum of at least doubling the washing routine - I'd hate to find in a few years time that I have skimped.

Good luck

I’d be interested on hearing your experiences

Martin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Christopher, start with processing 6 sheets until you can do it in your sleep. Btw, start with practicing loading blank sheets/duds until you feel that you are very confident with that. The CombiPlan is a good device, but practice is indeed needed.
    Also, when you have less than 6 sheets to process, load the empty slots with blanks, so that the chemicals circulate in the same way.

When you are past confident with 6 sheets (i.e. maybe 20 times maybe 100... Yes, I'm serious.) you can start with 12 sheets. I'm not sure if some kind of mesh will help, but that is your choice. Even with a piece of mesh (which means something extra to fiddle around with in the dark), there is a good possiblity that there will be leftovers from the anti-halation backing.
    Now, it was a bit of revelation to me to read up on the BTZS tubes some 10-15 years ago. I'm thinking about the bit where they take simply take off the lid and drop the now lidless tube into a bowl with stop bath, where they are collected until you've done with all the tubes. Only then you continue with the fixing part.
    So what was the revelation regarding the CombiPlan? Well, one of the downsides with the CombiPlan is that it takes ages to drain and refill. So I got me a couple of jars which were somewhat similar in shape to the CombiPlan tank. I filled those with stop-bath and fixer and had a go with some less important pictures. After my e.g. 10 minutes of developing I switched to the red darkroom light and simply ripped the lid from the CombiPlan and lifted the holder over to the stop-bath container. After a minute I continued with the fixer. Indeed it worked, even though I was somewhat stunned. There was no sign of light damage what so ever.
    I later skipped the third container and took the films out of the holder and into an ordinary 5x7" tray with fixer.
    I've been using this procedure for developing sheet film for 3-4 years without any traces of light damage. Nor have I had any unpleasant surprises with any 35mm or 120 film when I've done similar things. (Nowadays I use a Jobo CPP2 with Expert drums.)
    Anyhow, if you feel that this is a way to go, you will not have any problems with clearing the backing of the films.

//Bj÷rn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin