Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,491   Online: 925

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

DIY Minox developing

Hi there,

Didn't know quite where to post this (admin please move it if needed).

I need to develop some Minox film, I have the chems and times down, I just need a tank. I have a paterson tank and 2 adjustable spools. Is there any way I can modify them so that they'll work for minox, and idealy still for 35mm/120? or are there any other ways of doing this?

Thanks

Rob
    Currently shooting: KMZ Horizont and Minox B

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I've done a fair amount of Minox developing, and have always used either a Minox tank or Nikor reel for Minox film. Theoretically you could use an old style "roller" development tray where you pull the film back and forth under a roller that's immersed in a developer bath in a totally dark room. I don't think there are many good alternatives to a Minox tank or specific Minox reel.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know the Paterson reel, but in principle (based on how the Jobo reels are constructed) you would have to take out one of the adjusting parts and cement it again in an adjusted way. Maybe you have to mill down a bit the flanges of the reels too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacknoise View Post
    Hi there,

Didn't know quite where to post this (admin please move it if needed).

I need to develop some Minox film, I have the chems and times down, I just need a tank. I have a paterson tank and 2 adjustable spools. Is there any way I can modify them so that they'll work for minox, and idealy still for 35mm/120? or are there any other ways of doing this?

Thanks

Rob
    I have heard of people taping the film, emulsion side out, around an orange juice can and souping Minox film in a standard tank.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, this has been done, but it would only work with film that has no agents in a back layer that somehow would have to undergo development. (To put it simple: AH-dyes in a back layer.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I read somewhere that the trick using the bottle works, but you need to refix it in a tray afterwards to clear the dyes...

I'll have a look at my paterson reels to see if I can hack it...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    to update, ive found that if i mill away a small section of plastic on my yankee adjustable reel, i can add an extra stop past 16mm, I'll see how it goes

Wish me luck!

Rob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am using two modified Jobo 1500 reels in a rotary processor. Then needed to be cut in the center (so they are 'Minox-only' now).
    I suspect Patterson reels could be also modified.

If the emulsion touches the spirals, there will be un-even development, so I rig up a little piece of springy plastic that keeps pressure on the film to push it to the center of the reel and expand it so that the base is in contact with the spirals.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Yes, this has been done, but it would only work with film that has no agents in a back layer that somehow would have to undergo development. (To put it simple: AH-dyes in a back layer.)
    It was my understanding that the seam on the orange juice can kept the film from complete contact with the container.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the 'standard' Minox tank the film is wrapped around a flat solid spiral. This was upgraded to a concave shape on later models, to allow the back of the film to be cleared.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin