Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,941   Posts: 1,585,710   Online: 1064

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Closed Loop Heads: Pros and Cons?

hey all,

I've been watching out for this setup for a while, but with no current space for it in my parents house :angry:, it would be in storage for a while.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Devere-504-Enlar...item3ca71cda4e

I don't print much color, but when I do, I really want the best quality that I can get. I've been shooting quite a bit of 4x5 400nc lately(got a good deal from a photog leaving LF) and have been enjoying it thoroughly.

being though that it supposedly can be used for both b/w and color, that was my main idea, eventually getting a small tabletop ra-4 processor. I usually don't print big, 11x14 is usally my biggest paper size. Sometimes I cut a 12 or 24" roll down for panoramics. This is rare though.

What are some of the pros and cons of a closed loop system, I've read on numerous sites that CL systems are brighter, generally a stop or two more than conventional heads, and they are more accurate, and repeatable color. This is what led me to wait for this. Well, the DeVere 504 isn't a bad platform anyhow in any regard .

thoughts and ideas? I'd have to arrange to get a southwest flight up to montana from So. Cal, and truck it back, but I think it might be worth it.

Any ideas?

What about these vs. a standard diffusion enlarger(beseler 45v-xl?)
    Remember, this would probably be put into storage for a while, so I can't really work with it right now .

thanks

Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    CL has nothing to do with brightness. It has sensors to measure the light output and automatically adjust the filter to keep the value of the light constant.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ok, so it was probably designed with large-throughput, commercial labs in mind?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To my understanding it is about repeatabilty.
    However, a halogen lamp should merely alter its output and colour over its lifetime. And feed voltage variations should already be compensated for a part by the transformer-unit.
    I guess this is an issue of darkroom power supply and its consistency.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have 2 closed loop 4x5 enlargers and 4 heads total. They are overkill for MG printing but are very nice.

Cons: I can't think of any... (but one of my other pastimes is "hobby electronics" )
    Last edited by ic-racer; 11-11-2009 at 07:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The downside is the complexity.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The DeVere shown is B&W only

For colour work you would need to different head.

When I bought my 5x4 Enlarger I steered clear of anything complex and went for the KISS approach

Martin

Shooter
    35mm
    KISS?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keep It Simple Silly. I agree with Martin, unless your other hobby is repairing electronics

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    peter,

definitely not . but I'm willing to learn, as long as replacement parts are dirt cheap and plentiful .

I'm passing on it though. my money has to go to something better right now especially since my finances are super tight :o

-Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin