Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,577   Posts: 1,545,714   Online: 811

Thread: Darkroom Water

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Darkroom Water

What are the requirements regarding water quality and archival film processing? The last time I used my backup darkroom the water smelled heavily of sulfur. I figured that smell was indicative of something not good with the water supply so I have foregone processing there for the past month. I really like this spot and would like any suggestions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may try some distilled water or some kind of bottled water from a diffrent geographical location than what you are in. I am not entirely sure exactly what effects you will get but if the water smells I ceratainly don't think it would be great on photographs.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you have the availability of a faucet mounted water filter? The "Pur" brand is pretty good at removing the minerals and smells (inc. chlorine)from water.

Rick

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Jordke,

Assuming this facility belongs to a club, you might get everyone to pitch in on a water softener/filter combination.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    1 or 3 micron filters have taken the smells and black specs out of my well water.

John Powers

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The darkroom belongs only to me at the moment. I have a sediment filter in place, but regardless if the water smells that bad I had also assumed it wouldn't be great for the photographic process. Using distilled water is an ok solution for things like mixing up my chemicals, but I can't wash my film in distilled water properly. I need a solution. Would one of those filters you place on the faucet do the trick really?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Jordan,

The filter I put in place is made by Omnifilter, Delvan, WI and sold in Lowes or Home Depot. It is a plastic canister that goes in line with a replacable filter roughly 2.5” x 9 ¾”. By in line I mean that you cut into your water pipe and install this in place. Different filters are offered to address different water problems. Talk to the clerk or read the material for a better understanding of which filter is needed. My water had the sulfur smell and tiny black specs that would dry on the negatives.

This proved so effective that we stopped having 5 gallon spring water bottles delivered and use the filtered water for drinking. It had an intolerable taste before filtering.

John

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin