Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,891   Posts: 1,520,854   Online: 1203

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Developing trays - all the same?

One of the things on my 'to get' list is a set of three plastic developing trays for 11x14 prints. I am aware of three brands, namely, Arista, Paterson, and Yankee. Do you have preferences among these or other brands and, if so, why? Thanks,
    Ted

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like the flat bottomed Cesco trays myself. They're white and they get stained but that's just cosmetics and I don't care about that. I don't print much at any one time, so I don't need a lot of volume to counter exhaustion. These trays work well with as little as 1L of solution. Less waste. I like that.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Large Format
    I like the Cesco dimpled bottom trays. I develop sheet film and they work well.

-30-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cesco - they make several grades, get the ones with the shiny finish. The ones with the mat finish adsorb chemicals, and of course they stain.

I haven't used the Paterson, but Paterson as a rule makes very high quality gear.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like and use the Paterson trays.
    Very rigid, nice deep grooves in the bottom and come in different colors.
    Can't say I have ever used any others even though I have a set of 8x10 no name, 11x14 Kodak with flat bottom and used to have a set of stainless.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Theo43 View Post
    One of the things on my 'to get' list is a set of three plastic developing trays for 11x14 prints. I am aware of three brands, namely, Arista, Paterson, and Yankee. Do you have preferences among these or other brands and, if so, why? Thanks,
    Ted
    I have used the same Paterson trays for many years.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The Yankee trays I have are hard plastic and come in various colors including black, yellow, red and white. I like them best for film development with a slosher.

For paper, I prefer Patterson trays which have recessed grooves on the bottom which help with agitating and picking up prints from the tray. They also have a pouring spout on one corner. I like the 14x17 size for 8x10 and 11x14 paper. Works good with 2000 ml of solution.

For larger trays for 16x20 and 20x24, I use the Cesco trays.

I agree that the glossy surfaces are good for trays. No matter which brand, keep them clean.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Cesco trays are good, my favorite is the Kodak trays, don't know if still available. Got some used, like new.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My 20x24 Paterson tray came by special order through my local store. It's very nice; I don't regret paying $110 for it. I use it for singe-tray processing. It's made of thick, smooth polypropylene, something likely to last 50 years.

Larry, Kingston, Ont.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These trays, available from Henry's, are probably similar to the Paterson trays, which are good:

http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/sto...1&itemID=42208

The Cesco trays with dimpled bottoms look good to me, because they appear to stack very well and store in a very small space.

Matt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin