Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,897   Online: 975

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Filtering Water

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I do not know what is available in Greece, but would suggest you find an aquarium owner or aquarium shop. The filters and pumps on aquariums are good. Aquarium owners test the water for pH and other values. Aquariums capture sediment quite well. Look at what they offer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram View Post
    I have mentioned before that I have some trouble with dirty water, but my problem was never really solved. I have installed filters and use store bought deionized water for mixing the chemicals, but I still find little hairs and spots on my negatives.
    Since the filters I use are made mostly from fabric-like material, inquiring for a metallic filter to hold the hair and crud gave me a price range for at least 400 euros and much more of the better ones.

Do you have any suggestions for an inline water filter that successfully delivers clean water in a tight budget and can be found in the EU?
    Sounds more like you have a drying problem. If you are already filtering your water, then you need to provide a clean(er) place to hang your negatives. I have three dogs, and never get dog hair or other dirt on any of my negs or gear, because I clean my darkroom at least once a week(and my dogs are allowed in my darkroom)my boxer sleeps in the corner when I'm in working.

Rick

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ari,

As mentioned above, it seems to me that if you have "hairs" on your negatives that the problem is not with particulates in the water, but rather with airborne dust and crud. I'm almost positive that you can solve your problem by 1) giving a final rinse of minimum two minutes in clean distilled water (i.e., right out of the jug) with a bit of wetting agent (Photoflo or the like) added and then drying in a clean, still environment. Clean your processing area before developing and wipe everything down with a damp cloth. Humidify the room (running the hot water, etc.) to settle dust and then keep the door closed as much as possible until the film is dry.

Even if you have some particulates in your water, they should get rinsed off in the final distilled water rinse (feel the film carefully with your fingers to check this. I don't know what format you use, but I "squeegee" mys 4x5 negs gently with two fingers.) If you are already using deionized water for mixing your chemicals, only the wash water has any possibility of getting dirt on the negative. You could buy a Brita pitcher (with the built-in filter; they're easy to get in Austria, so I assume Greece wouldn't be a problem) and filter all your wash water with that. You would have to use a fill-and-soak wash sequence, but that would be a small price to pay for clean negatives.

That said, your problem, as you describe it, does not sound like a dirty water problem to me. Work on cleaning your drying area.

Best and good luck,

Doremus Scudder
    www.DoremusScudder.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    has anyone had any luck with using a coffee filter under a tap to work as a 'quickie filter', such as when traveling and developing in the hotel room?

just wondering.

-Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you all for the replies and suggestions.
    I did last development using store bought distilled water for chemicals and washing.
    To no avail.
    I have a DIY drying cabinet made out of a wooden frame and thin plastic sheet where I hang the film to dry overnight.
    The last step before I hang the roll is to give it a bath in a PhotoFlo solution.
    After finishing the tank, I took a look at the solution and there were tiny hair-like and dust-like sediment in it.
    Also, when scanning the negatives I will find longer hairs embedded on it.

So, what could possibly be it?
    I have no clue, but its affecting my photography making me really regret using film.

Do you think that I can rewash the negatives and release the debris, or are they embedded in for ever and ever?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hair.jpg  
    Last edited by arigram; 12-02-2009 at 09:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The last step before I hang the roll is to give it a bath in a PhotoFlo solution.
    After finishing the tank, I took a look at the solution and there were tiny hair-like and dust-like sediment in it.
    Hi Ari,

I think you have already found the source of your problem.
    I use tap water to mix chemicals and for washing my films and for
    the photo flo step a mix it with bottled drinking water and I do not have
    any problems with dust or similar things.
    Be sure that yuo are mixing photo flo with clean water and of course
    dry your films in a dust free ambient.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by juanito View Post
    Hi Ari,

I think you have already found the source of your problem.
    I use tap water to mix chemicals and for washing my films and for
    the photo flo step a mix it with bottled drinking water and I do not have
    any problems with dust or similar things.
    Be sure that yuo are mixing photo flo with clean water and of course
    dry your films in a dust free ambient.
    I am sorry Juan, I didn't understand you.
    You said that I found the source of the problem, but since I am using store bought distilled/deionised water, which is supposed to be clean, how am I getting the debris?
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    35mm
    I am sorry Juan, I didn't understand you.
    You said that I found the source of the problem, but since I am using store bought distilled/deionised water, which is supposed to be clean, how am I getting the debris?
    Where did you mix the photo-flo solution Ari? Could it be that the graduate/whatever you used had that dust/hair? Honestly, your problem is weird, I have minimal problems, I only use distiled water for photo-flo and reuse fixer and stop bath.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am on well water and have a home softening and iron filtering system along with an inline cartridge filter that I use replaceable 5 micron carbon cartridges for my darkroom. I also use Photoflo in distilled water after the wash. I have placed a foam filter over the AC duct and don't have any problems. The humidity here is usually high so that also keeps the dust down. The filters I mentioned are not expensive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Of course the water is not the problem, maybe you are working in a not so clean environemet.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin