Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,388   Online: 1088

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Filtering Water

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Filtering Water

I have mentioned before that I have some trouble with dirty water, but my problem was never really solved. I have installed filters and use store bought deionized water for mixing the chemicals, but I still find little hairs and spots on my negatives.
    Since the filters I use are made mostly from fabric-like material, inquiring for a metallic filter to hold the hair and crud gave me a price range for at least 400 euros and much more of the better ones.

Do you have any suggestions for an inline water filter that successfully delivers clean water in a tight budget and can be found in the EU?
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ari,
    I checked the Home Depot website for water filters and found a GE filter unit model GXC1SO1C which sells for $60. It is almost identical to the filtration units I used for my film processors. Perhaps you can cross reference to something similar where you are. They worked very well. IIRC I used 5 micron filter cartridges and would replace them about every 6 months.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    arigram... this is of no help but... if your water is dirty it must have some Greece in it.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    To solve your "problem", I would first attempt to dry your negatives in a cleaner environment? I have successfully processed 35mm film using hotel tap water thoughout the mediterranean region, from spain to algeria to egypt, israel, lebanon and italy, and the key to clean negatives has always been a clean drying environment. The key is to shelter your wet, hanging negatives from ambient, unfiltered, air circulation.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    arigram... this is of no help but... if your water is dirty it must have some Greece in it.
    Boy, Is that the best you can come up with? How 'bout this: To find Texas from Oregon; go East 'til you you smell it, then South 'til you step in it!

Shooter
    Medium Format

Filter Funnels. Elutriation.

I bought plastic filter funnels locally for $3 and $6, each have a 100 mesh wire screen. This is very fine mesh; any smaller and the water wouldn't go through very well. They have [still are?] been sold in automotive and farm supply stores to filter water droplets and other crud from gasoline [and diesel?]. Now, I filter my chemicals on the way out of the storage bottles, and again on the way back into them. Thursday, I produced my first print that appears not to need retouching [11x14 from 35mm]. The film was developed in my new filtered-chemical regimen. Likewise, I filtered all printing chemicals. I am amazed at the amount of dirt [fibres and cat hairs, for example] that I collect each session.

In the very old days, optical workers [making telescope lenses and mirrors] would settle their process waters for days or weeks to let the "mung" collect on the bottom of the vessels. Then carefully decant the water to leave the dirt behind.

This settling technique is used to separate different grades of abrasives and polishing compounds. It is called elutriation.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by flash26c View Post
    Boy, Is that the best you can come up with? How 'bout this: To find Texas from Oregon; go East 'til you you smell it, then South 'til you step in it!
    Heh, heh... we're PROUD of our cow patties here and step in them just so we have an excuse to polish our boots.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    Heh, heh... we're PROUD of our cow patties here and step in them just so we have an excuse to polish our boots.
    Eeewww!!! Speak for yourself!
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flash26c View Post
    You know what that smell is, don't you? You got it. It is the smell of money. Sometimes takes a little fancy foot work to get it and that also helps to keep you out of the patties. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm on a rainwater system and filter my water through two filters on it's way into the house. The first is a wound fiberglass looking filter and the second is a carbon filter. It cost about $100 a year for the filter and my water is clean, clean, clean. Make a glass of ice water. All the ice melts and guess what is floating in the bottom of the glass . . . nothing but pure clean water. That may be a function of the rainwater, however I have looked in the tanks and there is dirt/dust that makes it into the tanks, but the water after filtration is clean. Bill Barber
    Last edited by nsurit; 11-21-2009 at 08:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin