Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,916   Posts: 1,584,715   Online: 830

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Darkroom Nightmare

I have been trying for the past 30 minutes trying to load 120 film on to Jobo plastic adjustable reels with no success. Any ideas? These reels are horrible.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Have you tried it with a used or waste piece of 120 film in daylight? This should prove to you that it can be done and it is then just a matter of taking your time. Also check that the reels are totally dry. Its like learning to drive it seems impossible at the start and then later you wonder what you were worrying about. You have taken the first step by taking a break from it to let your mind cool down.

Good luck
    TEX

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I occasionally have trouble with the Jobo reels. Get the film half way in and find it snags on something and won't go any further. Pressing on the sides and jiggling the film round invariably cures it.
    Only once had to pull a roll out and switch to a Paterson reel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi

first sorry for the english, not my native language..

I hold the reel in my left hand, feel with my right hand inside the reel and i make sure that I feel the tube have a "step down", if you hold it the wrong way you have a step-up. Not sure how to explain this, but one plastic tube is inside the other, and you should feel the outerside tube.

Now, on each side of the plastic reel you have to outtakes on the side of the reelm, you see them in this picture,
    http://www.colorfoto.pt/cache/629382...9dd9edb658.gif
    place you fingers here, you will feel the film using these "outtakes" in the plastic, and you can correct the film while you are feeding it in. Now around 5 cm foward, you will have the start of the reel, i usually slide the film backwards, and when i hear the film slide into the ledge,
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com/image...n%20spiral.jpg
    and i start feeding the film into the realm. When i do this I make sure that the film is align through the "outtakes" and make sure that they are nice and even.
    If you cant feed the film in, start my trying to pull it back a bit and make try to arrange it through the "outtakes" and then start again. If you dont get the film the correct way onto the reelm its just to take it of the reel and start again.

Now, as TEX said, try with another film in the light, then close your eyes and try again... it takes practice but when you learn it they are as easy as the steel reels ...

cheers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Don't feel bad Tex. I just tried to load a spool of Delta 400 with the lights on. I had to run out and reshoot my homework for tomorrow in about 30 mins so I would have time to print it.

Shooter
    35mm

puzzled?

off to load 12x delta 400, first time for this setup

I thought this might have something to do with my dream of tri-x selling for $36 each, mom wanting me to photograph her wedding with a digicam and the only camera I had was film, but had no film, so I had to go to town to buy the $36 tri-x.
    after discussing the price, I notice some mystery color film of 200 400 800 1600 and 1 aps roll for $4 each.
    After I pick up the film, I look out the window and see a tornado coming straight to the shop.
    I ask the shop keeper where the basement is. He doesn't know or is going crazy, can't tell, but I drag him down to the basement with me and the film.
    after the storm blows over I re-inquire about the price of film. The End.
    Kodak Duaflex II with kodet lens
    N75 N8008s D60
    Yashica - D
    Only a photographer knows the true value of infinity

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Finally got it. These reels don't have much to feed the film with, not like the reels I used at university. The negatives turned out fine.

Thanks for all the responses.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

Shooter
    35mm
    I usually do two things that make it easier for me.

First I nick the corners off the end of the film that I stick into the reel. Taking about 1/10 inch off the corners does wonders to keep the film from catching on the reel as you push it in. On 35mm film, I make sure I do this in such a way as to prevent a perforation from being cut open. The resulting film will look something like the following (ignore dots). If you can leave the tail hanging out of the cassette when rewinding the film in the camera, you can do this in the daylight.

..-----
    /.........\
    |.........|
    |.........|

Second, I always try to take the curl out of the first half inch or so of film by rolling it back on itself. This makes it much easier to work with when trying to insert it in the slots.

Denis K

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That's how I had to do it. I clipped the corners which certainly made it easier.

Sometimes the end of the film that is "attached" to the paper is easier to start threading into the reel..

Ed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin