Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,831   Posts: 1,582,303   Online: 1053

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4.0 or 5.6?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    Not possessing a ND Filter in the head of my DeVere, I just dialled in 50Y + 50M + 50C

It meant not only my retinas remained in tact but also I could use sensible f stop settings and exposure times

I found (by chance) that one of my top name German enlarger lenses focus shifted as it stopped down – which came as a bit of an unpleasant surprise.

Consequently, I have retired it to paperweight duties

Martin
    I can't do that easily, because I'm using magenta and yellow for contrast control.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    So what's the bottom line folks?
    Is it worth the extra money for an 4.0 over the 5.6
    I am looking at the Companon 80mm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Now you changed the question! Before it was: is there a huge difference... and the answer is no, there isn't a huge difference.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    But there can be quite a bit of difference between a Componar, a Comparon, a Componon, a Componon-S, and an Apo Componon HM.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OK, sorry for the confusion. We have to some degree determined that there is NOT a lot of difference except for some situations.
    All things considered, I am comparing a Componon/Componon-S 4.0 to a Componon/Componon-S 5.6
    I will not be doing any contact printing, nor anything above 16x16 from my 6x6 negs

As a footnote, I already own a 5.6 Componon... The question would be: Is it worth the extra expense to upgrade to a Componon/Componon-S 4.0
    Would I be able to the tell the difference ( apart from brighter focusing ) in the aforementioned applications?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by outwest View Post
    But there can be quite a bit of difference between a Componar, a Comparon, a Componon, a Componon-S, and an Apo Componon HM.
    There can also be a huge difference between a Componon, a Componon and a Componon. The product-to-product variation is quite large. It's best to try before you buy, or insist on the right to return (especially eBay).
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scinysnaps View Post
    OK, sorry for the confusion. We have to some degree determined that there is NOT a lot of difference except for some situations.
    All things considered, I am comparing a Componon/Componon-S 4.0 to a Componon/Componon-S 5.6
    I will not be doing any contact printing, nor anything above 16x16 from my 6x6 negs

As a footnote, I already own a 5.6 Componon... The question would be: Is it worth the extra expense to upgrade to a Componon/Componon-S 4.0
    Would I be able to the tell the difference ( apart from brighter focusing ) in the aforementioned applications?
    Probably not, unless you happen to have a bad one.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You need to try it out - to find out for yourself

A couple of years ago I found my 150mm Componon-S not only focus shifted as it was stopped down but also flared badly too.

Until that point I had been happy with it, as it seemed physically undamaged, with nice clean glass when looked through and was sharp corner to corner.

I only found out about the focus shift by accident - I happened to re-check my focus with the lens stopped down after making a small adjustment

The Lens Flare was found only by comparing my Schneider with someone elses’ Enlarging Lens - I got slightly punchier prints - which caused my to investigate further

Only by trying another lens are you able to find out if the lens you have is adequate/sufficient

Martin

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scinysnaps View Post
    Probably not worth the trouble in the current market, but if you happen to come across an Apo-Rodagon (N) or Apo-Componon (HM) of the right focal length, that would be worth considering. Note that there are a lot of inexpensive Apo-Rodagon D lenses out there, which aren't really optimized to be enlarging lenses.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    There can also be a huge difference between a Componon, a Componon and a Componon. The product-to-product variation is quite large. It's best to try before you buy, or insist on the right to return (especially eBay).
    Very true! But, I didn't want to open that can of worms;-) I will say that is how I chose my lenses - by acquiring multiple examples of various models and makers and testing them against each other using Ctein's method and keeping the best in practice.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin