Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,337   Posts: 1,537,602   Online: 1087

Shooter
    Multi Format

Chromega D head replacing Condenser Head

Looks like Omega made some longer adapter arms to allow the Super Chromega II head to retrofit the D condenser enlargers.

It also looks like I can just get two new longer rods from McMaster Carr. There appear to be set-screws holding the levers to the rods. I'm thinking I'm going to take the levers off the rods and put them on two new longer rods.

Its a friend's enlarger, so I don't have it with me to check. I just need a plan for when I go over to install his Chromega II head.

I have both the D3 chassis and Chromega PDF manuals and it seems like these rods are the only thing I'm going to have trouble with.

Any additional info appreciated.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 11-24-2009 at 07:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You're essentially correct, but missing one thing. There are spacer sleeves that fit over the longer Chromega rods between the hooks on the chassis that hold the rods and the lever arms on the right side. These sleeves keep the head from drifting to the left and getting off center relative to the negative stage.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok, that makes sense. I'll either use a pieces of PVC tubing or a locking collar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Should work. I was also thinking that compression springs from the local hardware store might work. Harry Taylor at http://www.classic-enlargers.com/ might also have them if you want original equipment.

Lee

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The other option is to use aluminum tube, this all I did. I cut the arms myself from round bar. Used a center punch to crease the aluminum round bar where the set screws sit. Then slide the aluminum tube over to act as the spacer.
    Hope it helps
    Pat
    What grain............................................. ...............
    Oh sorry, I forgot you don't shoot Large Format
    Large format Pat.

http://www.largeformatpat.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by largeformat pat View Post
    The other option is to use aluminum tube, this all I did. I cut the arms myself from round bar. Used a center punch to crease the aluminum round bar where the set screws sit. Then slide the aluminum tube over to act as the spacer.
    Hope it helps
    Pat
    McMaster Carr seemed to have almost too many options. I was thinking the aluminum would be best. Aluminum tube would be good for the spacer.

I delivered the Chromega head to its new owner today, I'll pass this info on to him.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wound up getting some zinc plated steel 3/8" rod from the local hardware store. It cut easily with a hacksaw.

They also had 3/8" locking collars. The installation went very well and looks just like a factory job. $9 USD in parts.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin