Switch to English Language Passer en langue franηaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,952   Posts: 1,557,986   Online: 1100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Huge darkroom lot... value?

I know this has been discussed before, but I need some informed opinions.

A local photographer is clearing out his darkroom and has offered the following. I really only need the LF enlarger and other related gear, but it is offered as a lot. The question... he wants me to set the price. (I offered $200 CDN a couple of months ago before he took a full inventory but he demurred... ) I did receive a small honourarium this month for six months volunteer work, so I have a little cash to spend. How much is a reasonable/respectful offer for this much gear? (I edited the list, "..." taking out most of the incidental stuff, of which there is a ton)

Thanks for any opinions.

Cheers,
    Tom

Enlargers:
    Beseler electric motor drive with 4" x 5" Black and white head. Original instructions included.
    Durst M605 Color head working on Beseler platform

Lenses:
    El-Nikkor 75 mm
    Rodenstock Omegaron 50 mm
    Schneider Kreuznach Componon 135 mm
    Komuranon 75 mm
    Kodak Projection Anastigmant 161 mm

Timer:
    Gralab

Miscellaneous Darkroom equipment:
    Tons... including
    1 Dunk Tank for developing 10 sheets of 4" x 5" film
    1 Set Cibachrome Colour Printing Filters
    1 8" x 10" Cibachrome developing Tube
    1 11" x 14" Cibachrome developing Tube
    1 16" x 20" Cibachrome developing Tube ( new in box never used)
    Tons of trays to 16"x20"
    1 Speed easel 5" x 7"
    1 Speed easel 8" x 10"
    1 Variable Print Easel
    1 Rondo Guillotine paper trimmer
    1 Print Dryer with platten for glossy prints

Chemicals: Lots of dry chems and some nasy liquids.
    including 1 Cibachrome printing kit in box
    Variety of Cibachrome chemicals

Papers:
    Tons... incloding
    3 Packages Kodak Ektalure 11" x 14" paper - 10 sheets per package - unopened
    1 Package Kodak Ektalure 11" x 14" paper - open - quantity unknown
    1 Package Kodak Panalure Paper F 8" x 10" 25 sheets per box - quantity unknown
    1 Box Cibachrome paper 8" x 10" 50 sheet box - quantity unknown
    1 Box Kodak Polycontrast Rapid F 8" x 10" - 100 sheet box - quantity unknown - estimate 50+ sheets
    1 Box Ilford Ilfospeed multigrade paper 8" x 10" - 250 sheet box - quantity unknown - estimate 200+ sheets

Film:
    6 Boxes Kodak Contrast Process Ortho Film - 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 25 sheets per box - unopened
    8 Boxes Kodak Professional Copy Film - 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 25 sheets per box - unopened
    1 Box Kodak Professional Copy Film - 4" x 5" 25 sheet box - quantity unknown
    4 sheets Kodak Tri-X 4" x 5" sheet film
    1 Box Ilfolith IH4 4" x 5" 50 sheet box - estimate 40+ sheets

Once again... opinions welcomed...
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    it sounds fair to me
    I think I've had better deals and I'm sure quite a few here have paid nothing for the same stuff

no idea what the enlarger is worth but I doubt anything significant Free-$150
    lenses if all in great condition modern etc maybe $50-$75
    timer $15 if that
    film is neat but not holding much value $20? chancy and all commercial types and "odd" sizes
    papers neat but not holding too much value ..$40? maybe on ebay
    Paper cutter depends on brand quality and size. I wouldn't spend more than $40 on a larger size when desperate
    Cibachrome no idea ..you do cibachrome?
    CHems in paper packages not completely trustworthy if old ..if rather new guessing $20 or more if stuff you'd likely use
    Trays/misc depends but probably worth $20-$50
    easels mentioned -nearly free.
    cibachrome drums ..maybe pay $15 for all 3

Really doesn't seem like a treasure to me
    If it in total would set you up for a year or two or more and you don't see package deals like this too often its $ goes up ..but not much more.

Dont be paying for each and every object! You'd be doing him too much of a favor to be paying $1 for each grain magnifier he has etc
    Someone counts off 4! sheets of Tri-X and I begin to turn away

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you do buy it, I might help you fund it by buying the Cibachrome stuff if you arent going to use it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's a lot of stuff, but as you indicated, you are going to be interested in just a portion of that "stuff", right? What are you going to do with the rest of the stuff?? If you are going to sell them off, then there will be some effort and expense on your part. If you aren't going to sell them, they will hold no value to you. Do you really know if chemicals and papers are good? If you are going to sell them, would buyers be able to trust the product?

Sounds like to me... the decision to make is not only what's it worth as a whole, but what you intend to do with rest of the stuff, and that will determine what the fair value TO YOU would be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sun of sand View Post
    it sounds fair to me
    I think I've had better deals and I'm sure quite a few here have paid nothing for the same stuff

Really doesn't seem like a treasure to me
    If it in total would set you up for a year or two or more and you don't see package deals like this too often its $ goes up ..but not much more.

Dont be paying for each and every object! You'd be doing him too much of a favor to be paying $1 for each grain magnifier he has etc
    Someone counts off 4! sheets of Tri-X and I begin to turn away
    Yeah... he kinda did some exhausted listing of clips, tongs, spools, etc. Granted he must have paid a substantial sum for this stuff some time ago, but that market has pretty much died. He wants some return on his (old) investment... but of course, I want something for nothing. In truth, I do not mind paying a reasonable sum, but money is scarce, and I would rather spend it on good lenses or consumables.

If I hadn't been looking for a 4x5 enlarger for the last six months, I probably wouldn't be giving this too much thought. I know one other LF shooter in town who is looking for an enlarger, but I'm not telling him about this rig until I've made up my mind.

Still looking for opinions.

Cheers,

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

Shooter
    35mm
    I saw a motorized Beseler 4x5 enlarger with a Beseler color head and a three-lens turret, along with a bunch of random gear (but no lenses) in a Goodwill store about a year ago for US $250. I think such a price is the maximum for this lot, since many people are literally throwing away, or better, giving away, similar equipment. Old chemistry, film, and paper hasn't got much resale value unless it's something really special, in my humble opinion.

Shooter
    35mm

Sale in Houston last weekend:

$550 for everything

Quote Originally Posted by pbyd View Post
    Complete production darkroom liquidation! Lots of developing/processing equipment – tools that have to go.

$400.00 for the hold lot, OBO. (Will sell individual items, thou will take best offer for lot.)
    Two Sinks:
    8’ Stainless – VERY good condition with Stand.
    6’ Black Plastic (Needs drain) has wooden stand.

Stainless Steel Print Washer – Good Condition

Up to 16x20” Trays (Several sizes and quantities)

Tanks, up to three reels of 2.25” Film at a time, and individuals;

4x5” tanks and inserts; Tongs, mixing tools, thermometer (heavy duty stainless case);

Darkroom Timer; 3 safe lights; Mixing containers up to 5 Gallons; Storage containers; Film clips – Stainless;

Misc other stuff.

Omega Super Chromega Dichroic II Enlarger 4x5” COLOR head. – Production mounted. (no base) - can be added.

Foot pedal and controls for head. Carriers for 4x5” down to 35mm. Will NOT part out Enlarger –

You must buy enlarger and all accessories that come with it.

2 – Color Analyzers (Both working)

Lenses:
    Schneider – f5.6 / 150mm

f5.6 / 80 mm

F2.8 / 50mm

And a couple of others that I will throw in as well.

Omega Grain Focuser

Printing Easels:

8x10; 11x14 and 16x20 Quick

(May have a couple of others as well.)

Lots of Chemical for Black & White, most expired. This will do to whoever buys the lot or the most at one time.

MUST come pick up. NO Shipping, not even in the Houston area.

If you need a medum format camera to go with the darkroom, for a total of $550.00 the following will be added to the above darkroom equipment:

Mamiya m645 - 1000s Body with Prism Finder;
    Lenses:
    55mm f/2.8
    80mm f/2.8
    150mm f/3.5
    No. 3 Focus Screen
    3 - 220 Cassettes
    1 - 120 Cassette
    and Film
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the East Texas Rain forest. Apprentice Analog Activist.
    ... And to paraphrase Yoda, there is no how, only do.
    Vaughn
    My Photos Online

Shooter
    35mm
    One more opinion: your offer is more than fair. At an estate auction or yard sale this stuff would not bring anything close to that. Unless you have an immediate use for the various chemicals it makes sense to leave them behind. If you are way out in the boonies and will never again see a LF enlarger, then maybe this is the deal to pursue. If you are near civilization and he will not entertain your offer then I would just walk away. Final two cents worth: all of those glittering treasures, that 'incidental stuff', has an alarming way of turning into plain old photo junk on the way home to show the wife what you bought!

Good luck with it.

Jon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I paid 150 usd for a complete darkroom minus the sink. I had one enlarger, an Omega 2D that's mint plus a Saunders 20x24 easel and a archival print washer. Ton's of other stuff including a bunch of paper. I'd say your offer is more than fair.

Remember that the expired chemicals are a liability. If you take them, you should be compensated for disposing of them properly.

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rtbadman View Post
    I paid 150 usd for a complete darkroom minus the sink. I had one enlarger, an Omega 2D that's mint plus a Saunders 20x24 easel and a archival print washer. Ton's of other stuff including a bunch of paper. I'd say your offer is more than fair.

Remember that the expired chemicals are a liability. If you take them, you should be compensated for disposing of them properly.

Roger
    You are right. I don't really consider the chemicals an asset in this deal. Some may be of use, but most will need to be disposed of. Luckily my employer has a chemical disposal facility.

My local camera store is giving away enlargers these days. (provided you spend a substantial amount on paper and chems, etc.) unfortunately they only have 35mm gear, and the other fellow who is looking for a 4x5 enlarger is part owner of the shop. I'm not likely to find something there until he snags one first.

Still weighing my options...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin