Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,227   Posts: 1,532,690   Online: 771

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by resummerfield View Post
    When I was thinking about the incandescent source, I was planning to use a simple exhaust fan. I don't remember the exact details, but much cheaper than Mr. Jensen's.... probably way under $100.

I'm very satisfied with my Aristo, which I bought used for $400. Keep watching the classified ads and EbayóI see the Aristo T-12 listed occasionally. Or contact the folks that bought Aristo, since they may be able to make-up a unit from parts on hand.

I have had an Aristo cold light unit that has a light source with plexi that measures 10x12 and has a big heavy separate transformer on a long cable to the head unit that has a switch and dimmer knob that goes from slightly dim and full bright. It's so bright you can't look at it in full brightness. I contacted Aristo a long time ago and even with a number on it and pictures sent they couldn't tell me what it was made for. I kind of think it was a "transilluminator" unit but I can't be sure as Aristo wasn't sure.

I wonder if it could be used for an 8x10 head for the Durst 138, it definitely covers 8x10 without a sweat. I have used Aristo units in all of my enlargers for years but I'm concerned that if I make a box and fit it on the bulb should it fail would be impossible to get. Wow I can't stand uncertainty.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    JP80874 is somewhat an expert on 138 to 8x10 conversions. This is his enlarger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've seen this after he put it up for me, I still think the design is excellent, I believe it's made of MDF but looks like a nice metal construction. He had the conversion made by someone, can't remember the name, but he did a fine job. When I get it figured out I'll post some pictures.

Thanks for all of your help,
    Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'll agree with Curt, the design and construction of JP80874's conversion is excellent!

A key component to any conversion is the negative carrier. Does anyone have any detailed pics of this one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't have a picture of that one but there are designs where holes are punched in the corners and rubber bands are used to stretch the negative by clips.

I'm using a "Zipper" brand 5x7 for mine. A 4x5 can be used in it also by turning the negative and masking off the sides of the 4x5 sheet. I have a Negaflat 4x5 also which can be adapted to a new head design.

It has a bar frame that sits in like an "A" frame then presses down until the steel bars slide under the brass angles pulling the negative with it making the negative very taut.

For an 8x10 model I'd have to make my own Zipper carrier, with one on hand it would be much easier. This design is old and the Zipper negative carriers are rare, this is the only one I've seen. I bought it for next to nothing, probably because the seller didn't know anything about them either, I bought it because I was needing a 5x7 negative holder and one without glass.

These pictures were taken with an old digi camera so the color is off and it looks worse than it is. It's made of aluminum, brass, and steel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Zipper 046 copy.jpg   Zipper 050 copy.jpg  

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    I've seen this after he put it up for me, I still think the design is excellent, I believe it's made of MDF but looks like a nice metal construction. He had the conversion made by someone, can't remember the name, but he did a fine job. When I get it figured out I'll post some pictures.

Thanks for all of your help,
    Curt
    Not quite right. Michael Mutmansky, an engineer, designed and built the conversion unit, used it with negatives from his 8x10 RH Phillips, changed formats and sold the enlarger to me.

If you would be very specific about what view of the negative carrier you would like and if I can figure out my wife's digital camera again, which neither of us have used for a year, I could post something.

John Powers

Shooter
    Large Format
    Curt, I thought your carrier would be glass and I was curious as to how you positioned and operated it. Iíve never seen or even heard of a Zipper carrier, so thanks for sharing this.

The only glassless carriers for large format that Iíve seen required small holes to be punched in the corners of the negative, and used small springs to apply tension.

John, a picture isnít really necessary. I was just interested if your carrier was glass or glassless, and how it was positioned within the housing.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    John, a picture isnít really necessary. I was just interested if your carrier was glass or glassless, and how it was positioned within the housing.

It is glass, one sheet anti newton, one sheet clear with two nylon twist hold downs and two nylon stops. The little drawer on the front in the picture pulls out and there is the negative carrier about an inch under the cold light diffuser. It is cut out of 1/4" plywood and painted flat black. The plywood is mounted at right angles to the drawer front and slides on rails.

Because the cold light fluctuates wildly I followed Michael Mutmansky's suggestion to buy the RH Designs Stop Clock Vario with the probe in the cold light. All exposures are predictable now. Unsolicited plug.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Curt, I thought your carrier would be glass and I was curious as to how you positioned and operated it. Iíve never seen or even heard of a Zipper carrier, so thanks for sharing this.

The only glassless carriers for large format that Iíve seen required small holes to be punched in the corners of the negative, and used small springs to apply tension.

Because my enlarger is a 5x7 I can put the negative carrier on or near the enlarger plate support. With an 8x10 head it would be higher up. I need to make a head with negative drawer for 5x7 and a head for 8x10 that uses the same light source, two heads. I'm going to use the three bulb/filter units RGB I have from an older colorhead. My plan is to have them on switches or dimmers. By doing it this way I won't need to spend very much money.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Other things that might give you ideas: Durstzilla, homemade 8x10 head based on Beseler 4x5 conversion kit: http://www.bluegrassharvest.com/DurstZilla/index.htm

Also, Glennview 5x7 to 8x10 conversion: http://www.glennview.com/durst.htm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin