Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,932   Posts: 1,522,198   Online: 1059

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ross,
    My February 2006 visit to a particularly scenic beauty spot in your "neck of the woods" was memorable for all the wrong reasons. A nice day of photography was ruined when I broke out in an itchy red rash around my shins and around toes about 15 hours after waddling about in the quaint Pool of Slalom. I took a path test jar back later and had the water examined and it turned up active colonies of ESBL-eC (extended-spectrum Beta lactam-producing escherichia coli) — an "intelligent" Superbug that allows antibiotics/penicillins into its "lair" where it then destroys the active ingredients. It's cheerfully resistant to all antibiotics and penicillins bar one (meropenem).

Yes, I know. This may not read much like a gleaming tourism promo for the beloved Blue Mountains, but so many visitors actually do swim and drink the water in the bush around Katoomba and Blackheath; I have seen that with my own eyes; they seem to think the warning signs are a bit of a tease!

Dunno about drinking water/darkroom water from the Desal plant; I'd want an analysis of the water (not Government spin) before gulping it down.

I will be cobbling together a small darkroom here (in the laundry!) some time in the New Year but won't be concerned about water filtration, only finding my way in the dark! :rolleyes:
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 12-02-2009 at 02:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I live in Melbourne and I use filtered water for developing negatives (I hate spotting) and for filling my caravan's water tanks when I go a'roving.
    Try
    http://www.bestwaterfilters.com.au/index.htm
    or, preferably.
    http://psifilters.com.au/

I bought a double undersink unit from PSI filters with a spare cartridge for each pot for $235 or so and after 3 years have yet to use the second cartridge in either pot.
    Last edited by OldBikerPete; 12-02-2009 at 06:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin