Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,961   Online: 978

Shooter
    Multi Format

JOBO ATL-1500 Developer Dilutions

Here I am making a nuisance of myself yet again...

1) I use X-TOL 1:1 and Microdol-X 1:3 for 90% of my processing.

2) The Kodak literature specifies 100ml of stock solution per 80sq.in. of film (one 35mm roll).

3) The Jobo tanks (2500 series) for the ATL-1500 hold a maximum of 660ml for five reels.

4) At 1:1, the total volume would be 1000ml; at 1:3 it would be 2 liters!

So, it's impossible to process 5 reels at these dilutions, unless... and here, finally are my questions:

Is it possible to lessen the stock solution and lengthen the developing time?

Is there a formula for figuring out how much to lengthen the developing time?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You can experiment to see whether you can get by with less stock solution per roll. I have generally gone with Kodak's recommendations, even though they are likely conservative, because I hate ruining film I've been at pains to purchase and shoot by scrimping on developer.

At 600ml per tank that's 300mL stock solution, or enough for about 3 rolls.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This may give you some ideas:http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=23322

Thread is about doing 1:100 dilutions of Rodinal in a Jobo Rotary an using less than 1,000 ml in the tank at at time.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Kodak recommends starting with at least 100ml of XTOL stock for each film but the replenishment rate is only 70ml per film (I don’t understand why these numbers would be different – but may be someone else might be able to).

Therefore it seems reasonable enough to assume you only need 70ml of chemistry to process one film

With a 660ml bottle capacity it would seem you have 2 choices:-

1) Use 350 ml (5 x 70ml) of XTol + 310ml of water (not quite 1+1)

or

2) Use 330ml of XTol + 330ml of Water & use marginally less dev than Kodak recommend

Either way the numbers are not too far outside the normal operating range to be at least in with a chance of succeeding

Either way you are going to have to run some tests to see what Dev + Water + Time works for you

Have fun

Martin

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin