Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,189   Online: 694

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have finally decided to purchase the Heiland Splitgrade system.

Now I have another decision to make. Keep my current enlarger and get the Manual version, or replace my enlarger with a Saunders LPL and get the LPL version.

My current enlarger is a Beseler 45V-XL with a Universal 45 Light Head and V/C Controller.

I really don't want to replace my system, but I'm willing to if in the long run I would get better results.

Is anyone using the Manual version of the Splitgrade system?

Thanks for your input!

Jim

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Have you considered the Analyser pro from RH Designs? It will give similar results to the manual splitgrade. Both will calculate the correct grade and exposure for a negative.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Have you considered the Analyser pro from RH Designs?
    Yes, as a matter of fact I had the RH Designs StopClock Pro & Zone Master II that I used with a Zone VI V/C Head.

I sold them to another forum member. I got a deal on the Beseler system and had no use for the StopClock Pro timer anymore. I figured that it would be easier to sell both the timer & the Zone Master together, so that is what I did.

(I never did get around to calibrating the Zone Master)

So now I'm looking at the Splitgrade system.

Thanks!!

Jim

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I don't really see the point of the manual version as it doesn't gain much over your previous stopclock/zonemaster. The process of using either one is very similar. You meter the projected image and look at the reading to determine what the correct exposure will be. Both offer a gray scale bar to adjust everything to your personal interpretation. Once you've decided on the correct time and grade you place the proper filter in the enlarger and step on the foot switch. With the dedicated versions of the splitgrade the controller also sets the correct filter automatically. Furthermore, the dedicated version have a sensor in the head. Thus you get a closed loop sysyem that monitors for fluctuating light levels. Heiland does sell a version that controls a zone vi vc head. This is probably the best I can think of for a beseler enlarger. It is the only setup I know of that is both an analyzer and compensates for fluctuations in the light source.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin