Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,476   Posts: 1,542,628   Online: 972

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Small Automatic Developing System like Ilford 2150rc..?

I am not sure how to search for this topic, I tried though, hence the question. I am printing black-and-white work for other people and with trays the time it takes starts annoying me. I got offered to pick up an Ilford 2150 for free but I read that the chemicals only last for 2 weeks. The amount I print is nowhere near lucrative for that. Is it true or can you leave it in longer?

Or is there a machine that will do this for me but is made for smaller quantities of printing. It's still on a pretty irregular base, maybe 30 prints a month, but I am looking to extend this next year.

Any advice or should I just keep rolling as I do now and buy a dryer (which I intended to do anyway but the seller's not responding) to shorten on that time.

Thanx in advance,

Indra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you do a lot of prints at the same time you could use a Jobo unit with a lift and a drum. That would be pretty automated and uses very little chemicals. If you want to do one print and then do another and another- then this won't help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Indra,

The machine processing concentrates are not that expensive and should be fairly long lasting. The fixer should last over two weeks depending on use; you can also replenish the developer, making the whole process fairly economical. I've set up my Thermaphot ACP 505 (20"/50cm wide) machine for processing only a couple of hundred 8x10"s. An added bonus is that you can keep your hands dry and clean for working with the enlarger and negatives.

I should point out that these machines are designed for processing resin coated paper, not fibre base.

Tom.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    2150s are nice machines – but designed for small Labs.

If you are only doing 30 prints per months – how many days per month are you printing.

It would be possible to both fill and empty the machine between sessions – but is this practical for your situation?

Personally, I would be tempted to take up the offer (after all it is free) and to see how you come on with it.

You could always sell it on afterwards, if it doesn’t work out

I am not sure how small or large your Darkroom is – but I suspect an installed 215 takes up quite a large amount of room

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wasn't sure how I'd use the Thermaphot but I now find it very useful, even if it isn't something I use every week.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 2150 needs to be plumbed for wash water and for discharge.
    Hoses will work, and it can discharge into a sink.

It uses a lot of power, and (often) require repair.
    Many of them have had hard lives, and while they ARE excellent,
    it is a lot like buying a Mercedes that has worked as a taxi.

The troublesome part might be the circuit boards. Can you solder very well ?
    I don't begin to know how the machine is supported in Europe.

Between use, chemicals will dry and cake on the rollers. After a 2 week rest,
    even if you took an hour to clean the machine, you'll need to take the time to clean the rollers again.
    It is a wonderful machine, but it is EASIER to maintain if you use it an hour or two a day.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin