Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,783   Online: 913

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Peak grain focuser: what's SOOO special?

what is it that causes the Peak(and Omega) grain focusers so darned expensive? I've been using a microsight for a while, but is the Peak going to be THAT much better?

some I've seen lately on the auction site have a blue filter, supposedly for b/w film(makes some difference supposedly).

can you let me know? I like to have the best if I can get it, especially since I plan on using it for years to come.

thanks

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The one with the large mirror (Peak 1) lets you see if the edges are sharp before you make a print, therefore worth the money in my opinion.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    some I've seen lately on the auction site have a blue filter, supposedly for b/w film(makes some difference supposedly).

-Dan

"Experts' opinion seems to vary. Gene Nocon was convinced that the blue filter made a difference. Tim Rudman is more sceptical. Nocon gives two examples in his book on printing. One print focused with the blue filter and one without. I couldn't see any difference in the two but that may have been the fault of reproduction in the book.

I am sure he saw a difference otherwise he wouldn't have said so but did he? If the difference was that clear then why do others who have tried the blue filter seem less convinced?

The jury would seem to be out here but that true of quite a lot of things about photography.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Experts' opinion seems to vary."

Well, Nocon and Rudman ARE experts, for starters,
    but because they have a different view on the matter doesn't mean the Peak is no good,
    and the blue filter worthless. Don't preach the controversy, dig down to how they work,
    and try to understand what they are talking about.

For me, the Peak is good VALUE for four reasons.
    First, it is expensive. I coddle it, and have done for decades.
    Second, it is wonderfully made. Even if I DIDN'T respect it, it would still be in good shape.
    Third, it has an accurate, adjustable eyepiece and excellent reticle. Most problems with the Peak come from folks who haven't focussed it !
    Fourth, the big mirror is very good.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The most expensive model, the Peak 1, is made of metal rather than plastic, has better optics, and allows the eyepiece to be adjusted to different angles in relation to the larger mirror to allow critical focus in the corners in addition to the center of the image. This is very important with large prints where misalignment and poor enlarging lenses are more noticeable.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't own one (yet), but wonder if the effectiveness of the filter might relate to the spectral sensitivity of the paper? I believe the old traditional stuff was pretty much blue sensitive, but VC papers might alter that situation. Just a thought that popped into my aging brain!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For me it's absolute clarity in grain focusing.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I got mine used and did not include the blue filter, nor have I ever used one. The focuser is still incredible without it.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    case settle. I'm going for it!

I'm saving my pennies .

blessings,

-Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    dfcardwell, I wasn't saying that these two experts' opinion varied on the Peak. Merely their views on the blue filter which is why I only quoted that part of the OP's thread. I am sure you are right about the Peak's quality and attributes.

pentaxuser

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin