Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,844   Online: 760

Shooter
    Medium Format

Salthill film Washer /dryer

just received my SPI film washer and dryer. I Won it from (you know where) and I may have paid too much but this system looks sweet!
    Does any one have experience using such a system? Any do's or dont's with this equipment ? the seller included the users manual but it is relay just a 3 page pamphlet without a lot of operating instructions and Salthill is out of business so the phone number is of no use.
    I have never dried film on the reels before so I am looking to get started on the right foot with this thing.

The washer produces a lot of bubbles and I know this is controversial. is there a final word on this?

They were top drawer when new.

The blotter pack dryer is THE BEST DRYING SYSTEM for fiber prints that exists. I have a Burke and James that works on the same principle. Nothing else dries fiber that flat. It may get a curl, but no "wavy edges" that will not flatten.

Wash the prints well so you do not contaminate the blotters. Squeegee and air dry a bit before putting them in.Low heat works best.

Treat this puppy like it was gold. If you don`t want it, PM me. They were around $800 in the 1970`s.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Moravec View Post
    They were top drawer when new.

The blotter pack dryer is THE BEST DRYING SYSTEM for fiber prints that exists. I have a Burke and James that works on the same principle. Nothing else dries fiber that flat. It may get a curl, but no "wavy edges" that will not flatten.

Wash the prints well so you do not contaminate the blotters. Squeegee and air dry a bit before putting them in.Low heat works best.

Treat this puppy like it was gold. If you don`t want it, PM me. They were around $800 in the 1970`s.
    He is talking about a film washer/dryer, not a print washer/dryer. I was following that auction and was in disbelief that someone would pay so much. So it was you! I even posted a link to the sale price on the "Wacky Things on Ebay" thread. I have never seen one of these items in action but have always been intrigued by Salthill. What I really would like to see is one of the fiber optic enlargers. Nobody ever mentions them here and I have no idea how many were sold. (Kind of like the Calumet LED light source.)

I did buy a Salthill print washer that used the bubbles as a form of turbulence for washing paper. The unit I bought was slightly broken and any idiot but me could have fixed it. However, I was impressed by the design but not by its use. The water flow was excessive compared to my Summitek print washer and in the end I gave away the Salthill print washer. Unbelievable.

Regarding drying film on the reels, I would be sure to give it enough time to ensure that it is truly dry so that you don't find stray water droplets once you remove the film from the reels and then have no easy place to dry the loose roll of film.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I wish I could afford anything made by Salthill.

Especially there really cool fiber optic enlarger. Too bad they're gone now.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=j I was following that auction and was in disbelief that someone would pay so much. So it was you! I even posted a link to the sale price on the "Wacky Things on Ebay" thread.

I started to think it was a crazy price too! however I no longer feel that way. it is wonderful to use and ideal for my limited space darkroom. Also the build quality is A+ something you just don't See very often these days.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi Dave,

I have had the Salthill washer/dryer for over 17 years. It is very good gear; well designed and built. I don't have my instructions any longer but I can tell you how I use it.

Use the washer as stated. If you want to reduce/eliminate the bubbles, hold your finger over the small tube that projects from the top of the washer. the bubbles will disappear. After washing, I used to use a slight amount of photo-flo (drop or two) down the tube as stated in the instructions. I stopped doing this a while ago due to "issues" that photo flo was causing with my stainless steel reels.

When you transfer the reels to the dryer, dry them until the film is "just about dry". I then hang the film up in an enclosure to protect it from dust while the final "dry to the touch" sets in. One thing to check for is the air filter in the front of the unit. Make sure that yours is clean. You can get a suitable replacement from home depot (furnace air filter section) and cut to size.

Joe Saltzer was indeed an innovator and tried to design the very best products. Unfortunately, building a sustainable business out of his creations was another matter. The last I heard, he was working at B&H in their darkroom department.

If I can answer any other questions, do not hesitate to ask..

Regards,
    George

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin