Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,418   Online: 1025

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Images

Cleaner for a Nova slot processor

Several years ago, I bought a 4.7 lb container of Jobo Processor Cleaner to clean my Nova slot processor. Now I see that B&H only carries the 4 oz. package. Does anyone have a formula for this stuff so that I could make my own?
    -------------------------------
    Peter Schauss

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The 4.7 pound stuff still seems like its made:

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/jb2938/

If your looking to save (sorry I cant help you with chemistry!), you should try buying some bulk xray processor cleaner. It's much more readily available and it should be cheaper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wihth my Fujimoto CP-31 I, while wearing nitrile gloves, use dilute toilet bowl cleaner, a scrub brush and nylon scouring pads to wipe down surfaces. I then use more than two rinses when I am done.

I have read about the process cleaner, but never have bit on buying it. Pity, because I made a big order yesterday with b&H that could have paid part of the freight
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I too use toilet/bathroom descaler (in fact today) to clean the inside of a water jacket on my Jobo ATL-2+....It worked a treat.

Cheers Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've had pretty good luck with cleaning my Nova slot processor using a combination of Oxy-Clean and hot water. It doesn't get EVERYTHING off, but it gets the slots a lot cleaner with minimal effort on my part.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use simple household bleach. Leave it to soak as long as you can and be real sure you rinse it out properly. Seems to work OK.
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Blighty View Post
    I use simple household bleach. Leave it to soak as long as you can and be real sure you rinse it out properly. Seems to work OK.
    When JoBo USA was the rep for Nova they strongly cautioned against soaking with bleach due to it making the plastic brittle. Anyone in the UK want to check in with Nova -iI think they are still in business- and ask their opinion?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TimVermont View Post
    When JoBo USA was the rep for Nova they strongly cautioned against soaking with bleach due to it making the plastic brittle. Anyone in the UK want to check in with Nova -iI think they are still in business- and ask their opinion?
    Hmmm.. Thanks for the advice Tim. I'd used bleach on the recommendation of somebody on this forum (can't recall their name just now). It does clean quite effectively but if there is a chance that it'll damage my Nova unit, I'll stop using it. So much for sounding wordly-wise
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TimVermont View Post
    Nova are certailnly still in business and make a product called Tarbuster for cleaning processors http://www.novadarkroom.com/product/...Tarbuster.html

I never really had much problem with the dev and stop slots on mine, but never found any product to remove the the black coating from the fixer slot.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Black View Post
    Nova are certailnly still in business and make a product called Tarbuster for cleaning processors http://www.novadarkroom.com/product/...Tarbuster.html

I never really had much problem with the dev and stop slots on mine, but never found any product to remove the the black coating from the fixer slot.
    Peter Like Blighty I have successfully used household bleach once to remove the black coating. I didn't do any measuring but in a one litre slot it was probably 20 of water to 1 of bleach(maybe slightly stronger).I had to leave it at least 24 hrs as I recall and then use a bottle brush fairly vigorously. For very stubborn stains, draining and refilling for another 24hrs may be necessary.

So yes it does work but now I'd be concerned about brittleness based on the comment. I can't think of why it should affect Nova material more than say any other plastic and I haven't had to do it again. Normal scrubbing with a bottle brush using water has been enough.

My problem stemmed from leaving fix in the slot for months without using or draining. I suspect that if the processor is used often then the black coating doesn't take hold because the old fix is dumped often enough and a quick "scoosh"( liquid sloshed around the slot quickly in a jet-like form for non Scottish readers with water is enough.

I don't suppose strong bleach does any material much good if used very often.

pentaxuser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin