Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,225   Posts: 1,532,662   Online: 845

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Anti-Newton glass for enlarger

Hi!

I have a Ilford 500 diffusion head on my Durst L1200. I mainly print 4x5" negs. I wonder how important is it to use Anti-Newton glass on top of the negative compared to a normal glass on such a diffuse light enlarger system?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My own feeling is you're better off with no glass particularly on top, I don't use any in my De Vere 5108 for 120 up to 10x8 negs and only a bottom glass in my Dursts for 35mm & 120.

If using glass I prefer plain not anti-newton, I have anti-newton glass for the Durst and felt it knocked the sharpness and resolution.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Unlike Ian's experience, I began using ANG in my old Omega D2, and noticed no decrease in sharpness.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    My own feeling is you're better off with no glass particularly on top, I don't use any in my De Vere 5108 for 120 up to 10x8 negs and only a bottom glass in my Dursts for 35mm & 120.

If using glass I prefer plain not anti-newton, I have anti-newton glass for the Durst and felt it knocked the sharpness and resolution.

Ian
    How do you use your Durst with only one sheet of glass? In other words, how do you hold the negative flat?
    The only way I can see that working on my Durst L1000 would be to use the top 1/2 of the metal film holder and replace the bottom 1/2 with the glass.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    ...If using glass I prefer plain not anti-newton, I have anti-newton glass for the Durst and felt it knocked the sharpness and resolution.

Ian
    It can't possibly be as bad as what we had to use 'way back - talc. It worked, but made spotting a nightmare.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A really inexpensive glass with perfect anti-newton properties is non-glare picture frame glass. This stuff has a subtle but easily seen texture that suggests that it would not work in an enlarger but it does; sort of. I make negative carriers using this glass as the top glass and I leave out a bottom glass. A film negative wants to pop upward when the heat from the enlarger hits it. A top glass prevents this. A bottom glass really has nothing to do except gather dust or perhaps prevent the negative falling into the enlarger bellows.

An enlarger with a strongly collimated illumination system, a condenser or point light design for example, will image the texture of anti-glare picture frame glass. My Durst 138S enlarger certainly does.

A semi-condenser or diffusion system enlarger probably won't image anti-glare glass. My Omega D2V certainly does not. And if I put a diffusing screen into the light path of the Durst 138S it doesn't image anti-glare glass either!

So, beating newton rings is easy and cheap for me but only if I am prepared to accept a significantly diffused light source in my enlarger. So far, so good.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker View Post
    How do you use your Durst with only one sheet of glass? In other words, how do you hold the negative flat?
    The only way I can see that working on my Durst L1000 would be to use the top 1/2 of the metal film holder and replace the bottom 1/2 with the glass.
    I use a glass on top of the negative to hold it flat and protect from the heat.

I have a diffusion light head...Ilford 500 system :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker View Post
    Exactly as yoy say, the Durst's also take glassless neg holders so I use either a 120 or 35 top plate.

I find far less problems with dust this way.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For projection printing, 4x5 is like an ideal format. Its base is thick enough to lay flat, but it is not so big that it needs tension or glass to keep from drooping in the middle. My 4x5 mixing boxes are not hot enough to cause buckling. Bottom line is that I almost never need to use a glass carrier with 4x5.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin