Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,605   Online: 822

Thread: Beseler MXT 45

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Beseler MXT 45

I'm looking into a used MXT 45 and had a couple of questions. I understand that the chassis is motorized. Is this unit still usable if the motor dies? How easy is it to align? One of the reasons I want a better enlarger is because my current one cannot be aligned (it's a student model) and I never can get sharp prints to the corners. Also, anything to be wary about with an Aristo cold light head? Any other thoughts from those that have used this setup? Thanks.

Jmal

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Can't answer all your questions, but if the motor is not working (or off track) and you use different size formats, its tough to move. A real pain,though doable.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    In 1990 I decided to go into business for myself and a lot of that was (is) custom printing. My old grey Beseler 45 MXT was my only enlarger and I was worried the motor would die as it had so much use on it already. So I bought a new black Beseler and kept it as a spare for when the motor would die. Well 19 years later and thousands of hours later and the new black one is still waiting to be needed. The old grey one still work perfectly. The old one has some left to right swing adjustment and forward to back as well so it can be perfectly aligned. I think the newer one is much less adjustable.
    These enlargers are so cheap used now that it wouldn't make sense to buy a new one or fix an old one.
    Dennis

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Good to hear. There is someone local that may still have a "as new, never used" MXT 45 and Aristo cold light head, also never used for $300. They were apparently purchased in 1996 and never used. I know people say that people are giving these away, but here in the middle of the country I just don't see that happening, and when it does things are in terrible condition. If everything is really as described, it sounds like a decent deal, don't you think?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jmal View Post
    Good to hear. There is someone local that may still have a "as new, never used" MXT 45 and Aristo cold light head, also never used for $300. They were apparently purchased in 1996 and never used. I know people say that people are giving these away, but here in the middle of the country I just don't see that happening, and when it does things are in terrible condition. If everything is really as described, it sounds like a decent deal, don't you think?
    If it were me, I would go for it, particularly if you have the privilege of returning it in case it doesn't work (very unlikely). Is the seller willing to throw in the negative carriers and lenses?
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It comes with an Omicron 135, but I am not sure about carriers. I have emailed the seller to see if it is still available and if it comes with any carriers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got one from a guy that did the same thing as Dennis, and his old one never quit. I got the brand new enlarger (still had cardboard packing around it), Zone VI light head for $150 in Kansas City. I found it on Craigslist about a year ago.

Bad part, I couldn't give away my D2V and it went to the landfill along with an 23CII, I already had a old gray MX with the 45S head. I didn't need three/four, really don't need two

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Enlarger sold--I'll have to wait for another to pop up.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I used a Beseler MXT 45 for several years. I personally didn't like the motorized chassis, but I can see where many would. I prefer the accuracy of the hand crank for where I want to stop. There's a knob for fine movements when you get the head close to the position you need. I did have problems with alignment but it may have been just due to the fact that it was well used and worn when I got it. A nice feature on the Beseler is that you can tilt the head up and make monster size enlargements on a wall if the need ever strikes.

I'm now using an Omega D5 XL which I love. I didn't swith for any particular reason than I got a great deal on the Omega. The Beselar served me well when I had, but as mentioned earlier, it was my starter enlarger and was in poor shape.

Dave

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    This is a good enlarger. One of the things I have done is put marks on the motor side to stop the motor at various spots for known light levels.

You will need a good timer with this unit.
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin