Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,582,981   Online: 1035

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dali View Post
    Hi,

The question is in the title... Do you use print washer and what model would you recommend?

Nota: I develop mainly 8x10 papers but I sometimes use 11x14...

Thanks!
    Dali

I recommend a so-called archival washer or slot washers with up to six sealed compartments. They get too heavy if they have too many compartments. They are usually made out of plexiglass and unfortunately very expensive. Tub washers have the disadvantage that the last unwashed print is always contaminating the already washed or half-washed prints, unless all prints are washed at the same time. Tray washing works just as well as archival washers, but it is not very efficient if more than a few prints have to be washed.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Call me simple. I wash prints in my 12x16 inch tray. After a dip in wash aid for 10 min, I fill and dump the tray (7 times) over 20 - 30 min. Tray capacity is no more than three 8x10s or four to five 5x7s. It was David Vestal who wrote in one of his books that tray washing was even better than the best commercial washers. Works great if your print volume is low.
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vdoak View Post
    My print washer is a plastic container form the local hardware store with a Plexiglas false wall at the drain end to force drainage from the bottom. The separators are Plexiglas held in place with PVC trim. Water is injected in each section from a plastic pipe clamped to a water hose. The “jets” are 2mm holes drilled at appropriate intervals.http://www.doak.no/index_files/3-DarkRm.htm
    Nice washer! I'm thinking about building one myself. Could you possibly post some more photos of your washer? And where did you get the plexiglas?

Trond

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trond View Post
    Nice washer! I'm thinking about building one myself. Could you possibly post some more photos of your washer? And where did you get the plexiglas?

Trond
    I think I pretty much got everything for that project a Bauhaus, Liertoppen, ( similar to Lowe's or Home Depot) including all the plexiglas. There are, now, a few more pictures of it at http://www.doak.no/index_files/3-DarkRm.htm near the bottom of the page.
    Lykke til! (good luck)
    mvh

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have been using a versalab 11x14 washer for many years. It has been a very good investment and I have had no problems with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One more vote for the Versalab. I have an 11x14 that I bought new, and a 16x20 that I bought from a guy in Brooklyn who was going into digiography I think. I've been happy with both for years now.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Kodak tray siphon, attached to a 12x16 Paterson tray, for anything up to 11x14, helped with lots of manual shuffling - left on their own in the flow from the siphon, prints will clump together.

I have spare Paterson trays in larger sizes in reserve for the rare occasions when I print on paper larger than 11x14.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Nova 12 x 16 washer with 12 slots. 10 for washing and 2 for a hypo clearing bath.... Works slick, and can be used to put 20 8x10 prints in. I rarely print any larger than that size. The washer is quite deep, but I do not need anything to hold the prints either. I am able to pull them out easily without any of the gadgets although I know Nova makes print clips for use in the washers.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks all for your replies.

I should soon be able to install a permanent lab in my house and take this opportunity to add some useful equipment, hence my original question.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vdoak View Post
    My print washer is a plastic container form the local hardware store with a Plexiglas false wall at the drain end to force drainage from the bottom. The separators are Plexiglas held in place with PVC trim. Water is injected in each section from a plastic pipe clamped to a water hose. The “jets” are 2mm holes drilled at appropriate intervals.http://www.doak.no/index_files/3-DarkRm.htm

Very inventive and looks like a handy bit of kit, I just know that with my diy skills if I built something like this 50l of water would come tumbling out all over the floor! :o

That is why I bit the bullet and use a Nova print washer - I really like the "rapid dump" facility - can empty the tank in a couple of minutes to totally refresh the water. Expensive but worth it. Coupled with the Hozelok connectors it is really easy to set up by the sink.

http://www.novadarkroom.com/product/...t_Washers.html

Sim2.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin