Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,292   Online: 765

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Images

Baseboard for an enlarger

What is the best material to use for a baseboard for an enlarger? Should I just get a piece of 3/4" plywood, cut it to the size that I want, and glue some Formica to it or is there something ready-made that I can use?
    -------------------------------
    Peter Schauss

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have made them from 3/4 in. birch faced plywood. A couple of coats for varnish will seal the wood. It wouldn't have to be birch faced, but I had som left over from a cabinet job, and it finishes more nicely than fir.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Availability will depend on where you are. In the UK, I would use a small piece of kitchen worktop (counter top in the US). These are a high density chipboard with a formica like covering over the top and the front (which has a radiused edge). They are generally about 38mm or 1.5" thick.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It all depends on what you prefer. HPL(formica) is mostly smooth and slippery, there are some textures that are less slick.You can use melamine panel, which is medium density fiberboard(MDF)with a resin finish, then you need only seal the edge. This is what most manufacturers use, and is quite heavy, and dampens vibrations nicely. You can bolt directly to the counter top, and not be concerned with the base not being large enough, and falling off of it. Any home builder supply can provide you with pre-made counter top of whatever length you want, as well as the MDF, which can be purchased as a full sheet or partial(some will even cut it for you).

Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Plywood is not as flat as it use to be plus some of the stuff warps and de-laminates. Baltic Birch is probably the best however, for a baseboard, I would glue two layers of 3/4" MDF. You could spray paint it if you want or just leave it plain. Or laminate Formica on it, not sure its needed, but nicer job.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try looking for kitchen cutting board at discount stores. Some of the wood kinds are suitably sized and comes already finished nicely.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All the above but perhaps more critical is fastening the enlarger to the base. It must be ridged and no chance of wiggle or loosening of wood screws. I would suggest through bolting the double 3/4 ply and counter sinking the nuts on the bottom using washers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just made one from 3/4" ply glued to 3/4" MDF & sealed it with polyurethane. Mounted the enlarger to it with t-nuts & bolts.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    three layers (well - it's important to glue odd number of layers together - else it will warp) of oak piedroit will be the best option
    a baseboard from plywood will be also good

Shooter
    35mm

staron or granite

Staron® Solid Surfaces by Samsung are acrylic surfacing materials...

had a piece in the shop, cleaned it with gas, braklean, carb clean, never any problems

granite would also work, but since bottom is unfinished and unsealed, may turn gunky
    Kodak Duaflex II with kodet lens
    N75 N8008s D60
    Yashica - D
    Only a photographer knows the true value of infinity

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin