Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,646   Posts: 1,481,271   Online: 761

Shooter
    Medium Format

How to Load 2 rolls of 120 film to 1520 tank

HI,

I am using 1520 tank for my film developing. Its capacity says:

2 rolls of 35mm
    2 rolls of 120
    1 roll of 220

I can understand 35mm and 220 but I could not figure out how to load 2 rolls of 120 film on it.

2 reels of 120 does not fit.

should I load 2 rolls of film to same reel?

Thanks,

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think you're supposed to load both 120 films on the same reel with one following the other.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The red gizmo that is supplied with Jobo reels is intended for that : lift the gizmo, load the first film till the end of the reel (I tend to "screw" it by holding the film in one hand and turning the reel in the other) then close the gizmo, load the second film...

Some people use the tape at the end of the first film to "couple" the films together, I've nevcer tried it.

I had only one failure with my method, where two TXP ovelapped and I lost a few frames, but it is usually working fine.
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Some people use the tape at the end of the first film to "couple" the films together
    What you could try is loading the films so that the taped ends will butt together once you load them into the tanks.

Load the first film with the untaped end first and spiral it all the way to the centre of the spiral core, then load the second film with the taped end going in first so that the extra thickness will help avoid overlaps. Remember to open the red stops if using the Jobo reels.

The same method applies to Paterson reels too as they're designed for 120/220 or 35mm x 36 exp film.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hey, i use my normal jobo reels without red caps,(dunno what model my reels are but they're the plasticy thingy) and punch out two 120 rolls a pop in the dev.
    method is simplier than you can imagine just get yourself some super strong tape that wont go loose wet and youre good to go- you load the first roll then just about when it's up to getting swallowed by the reel you tape that end to the second roll et voila!
    hope that helps, atleast for the courage of it...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    try the leader card tape that minilabs use to attach film to the leader cards in the Roller transport processors. It doesn't flake or break down with chemistry or higher temperatures, like standard tape would/could

see here for it

http://www.climaxdigital.com/film_tape.htm

I use the 1/2", cut a strip about the length of the width of the film( about 2.5" or so, and tape it to the wall where near I load. load roll #1 almost, with about 2-3" of film left hanging out. unwrap roll #2, detach film COMPLETELY from paper backing, have film curled up in hand, and then proceed to tape the rolls but ends together, and tape.

takes a bit to get it, and a few trys and a few expletives later :P, I finally got it. now its less than 30s or so to get it down. NO red clips, no fuss.

just be careful about which developer you use, and with smaller(weaker) dilutions of developer, cause you will most likely have to use a stronger dilution that with 1 roll of 120, due to 2x the sq. footage of film in the tank.

-Dan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin