Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,964   Posts: 1,523,308   Online: 1241

Shooter
    Medium Format

Omega Super Chromega D mounted on Beseler stand

I'm new to printing and am shopping for darkroom gear. I found a local listing for an OMEGA Super Chromega D that is described as "Mounted on a BESLER [sic] 45M Motorized carriage."

I wasn't aware that was even possible. Seems like it would be a pretty solid setup, but is there any reason I should steer away from such a contraption?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Only thing I can think of is what happens when it breaks? Do you look for Bessler or Omega parts, or do you have to fabricate pieces(provided you have the skils and equipt. to perform). I'm a fan of staying all original-unless, of course, its free. But thats just one mans opinion.

Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many times enlargers in the 5x7 and 8x10 range can accept a number of different heads from various manufacturers. This is also true for 4x5 enlargers to some extent.

If it has the late model Super Chromega II head with working power supply or a Chromegatrol, it is very robust and likely to last a long time. If the Beseler chassis is in good shape, then I don't see anything wrong with that combination. Avoid the older Chromega heads with non-dichroic filters. Can you post a picture?

In some cases the head is the most important part, as chassis without heads have been junked, given away or sold for very little. So, if anything happens to that Beseler chassis, it would probably be pretty easy to find a suitable omega chassis (D2, D3, D4, D5, D6, Prolab) without a head for cheap or even free (in certain parts of the USA).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks all. The description says "OMEGA Super Chromega D Dichroic II 4X5 Color Enlarging Head"

Here's the only photo available.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think there is very much difference in the head mounting. Cold light heads come with a small adapter ring depending which enlarger your using.

I'm pretty sure the Besler uses the ring, maybe that's all they did here, use a cold light ring to mount it.

In that case it would be plenty good.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks fantastic, I'd go for it.

Shooter
    Medium Format

In case anyone remains curious, here's a closeup of the mounting bits. I have nothing to compare it to, but everything seems to work. Looking forward to trying it for real tonight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The head is the same one still in production from pretty much 1972 I think. I have 2, one as a spare, and one on a D5XL rail. Look up KHB photo in Mississauga Canada (on the web) for an excellent overview of Omega current and obsolete products.
    my real name, imagine that.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin