Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,325   Online: 905

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Finding a Single Condenser Lens

A while ago, I hastily bought a Vivitar VI 6x7 conversion unit on eBay, in the hope of printing the occasional 6x7 negative in my collection. I buy "as is" obviously, and that time, it bit me back.

When the unit arrived, I gave it a cursory look and stowed it away for a couple of weeks. Eventually, once I put it in the enlarger, I noticed that the condenser unit only had one lens. I thought nothing of it, until I realized that the light was not properly dispersed. I remembered condenser enlarger schemas: they always have two identical positive lenses placed convex-to-convex.

The seller did his best to try to locate the missing lens, and after quite a few checks, nothing was found.

I'm left with the following dilemma: either cry a little bit over the lost money, and save to find another 6x7 conversion unit; or try to find a way to add the missing condenser lens.

Is there any hope? Are condenser lenses more or less standard between brands? Does anybody have a spare?
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michel Hardy-Vallée View Post
    A while ago, I hastily bought a Vivitar VI 6x7 conversion unit on eBay, in the hope of printing the occasional 6x7 negative in my collection. I buy "as is" obviously, and that time, it bit me back.

When the unit arrived, I gave it a cursory look and stowed it away for a couple of weeks. Eventually, once I put it in the enlarger, I noticed that the condenser unit only had one lens. I thought nothing of it, until I realized that the light was not properly dispersed. I remembered condenser enlarger schemas: they always have two identical positive lenses placed convex-to-convex.

The seller did his best to try to locate the missing lens, and after quite a few checks, nothing was found.

I'm left with the following dilemma: either cry a little bit over the lost money, and save to find another 6x7 conversion unit; or try to find a way to add the missing condenser lens.

Is there any hope? Are condenser lenses more or less standard between brands? Does anybody have a spare?
    Found this on the web:

http://www.thorlabs.com/NewGroupPage...FQWTzAod92euMw
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Back in the UK I have an article on making new condensors for a Durst, basically you buy a lens as in the link Ralph's posted then get a Glass shop to cut to size. The article was more about making the frame tohold the lens but there nothing difficult and it was very straight forward.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I called Thorlabs, and they can indeed cut something according to spec. I was wondering how could I measure the focal length of my condenser? Infinity focus test?

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I called Thorlabs, and they can indeed cut something according to spec. I was wondering how could I measure the focal length of my condenser? Infinity focus test?
    Can you not just give them the dimensions? It's a slice of a sphere, the diameter and the height should be all they need!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think I saved the condenser unit from my old Bogen 67 enlarger. If I still have it, it's your for the price of shipping. I'll check tonight.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The condenser unit I have is 3 1/8" x 3 1/8" x 1 3/4". If it looks like it'll fit your head, I'll gladly send it to you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Barry, here's a schematics of the lens.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8959/Vivitar...0-%20copie.pdf

I estimated focal length by focusing an infinity object and measuring the distance between the planar surface and the projected image.

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Can you not just give them the dimensions? It's a slice of a sphere, the diameter and the height should be all they need!
    I asked the Thorlabs guy, and the problem is that they need the approx focal length. I presume that's because for the same shape, different types of glass would result in different focal lengths (i.e. because of the refraction index).

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Barry, here's a schematics of the lens.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8959/Vivitar...0-%20copie.pdf

I estimated focal length by focusing an infinity object and measuring the distance between the planar surface and the projected image.
    My condenser unit doesn't easily open, so I can't measure the focal lengths. The size is a little smaller--3 1/8" vs 3 1/2", but it might work. It would sure be a lot less expensive than having a custom condenser lens made.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin