Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,720   Online: 1077

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I used one of these everyday for years as a newspaper photojournalist. Very sturdy. You have to set the focus, but once it is set you can swing it up and down and it will stay focused. Congrats on the find.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Back at home, I now have a chance to examine it. First of all, it is quite heavy, very sturdy built indeed. The lens is the 40 mm f/2.8 Focotar. The lamp is working, all the masking blades are there, and the multigrade head is able to show different shades of purple and yellow, so I guess it is working as well. Jesper gave me a pdf print of a web page about the enlarger, and I managed to find a german pdf copy of the manual also. I just have to get cracking, understanding the autofocus, how to use the multigrade head etc. As stated in the original post, I have not used an enlarger since elementary school, and they were quite simple, without filter heads or autofocus. Guess I have some reading up to do (and, I have to establish an actual darkroom also).
    Henrik Lauridsen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dfoo View Post
    Do they have more?
    No, I think they managed to donate them all. Which is a good thing, since they were going to throw them out this afternoon, if there were no takers.
    Henrik Lauridsen

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Necator View Post
    No, I think they managed to donate them all. Which is a good thing, since they were going to throw them out this afternoon, if there were no takers.
    Mmm... If so, they must be very rich or have no idea how much 4 could have been sold for on the U.K. e-bay

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    This might be of assistance http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/photo/v35.htm
    Congratulations on getting a great enlarger
    Regards

Harry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/photo/v35.htm

That is a great resource for V35 information.

I've had my V35 since 1980, had a Ic for 12 years before THAT. Until you've used a V35, you have NO idea how good 35mm can be.

Stick with the Philips 13139 lamp. It can be found pretty cheap online, and lasts much longer than do the substitutes and has higher output. You don't have to file off the OSRAM's lip or any of that nonsense.

Only a drum scanner can equal the V35's performance, and the V35 is FUN to use. Have a good time !

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have one and it is wonderful to use. The best thing about them is the carriers. After using the glass carriers (Leitz is one side glass), I am convinced that it makes a big difference in the quality of the prints, particularly in 35mm. You are very lucky!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Mmm... If so, they must be very rich or have no idea how much 4 could have been sold for on the U.K. e-bay

pentaxuser
    I got it from a local school (technical college) and I think their calculation was that the administrative cost involved in selling them would exceed the potential profit. Luckily the teachers there though it would be a waste just to throw them out. This was to the benefit of me, and at least 2 other APUG'ers.

What sadden me a bit was, that this school actually teaches future photographers, but still decided to get rid of their darkrooms. I know that 99,9% of what these to-be photographers would be working on will be digital equipment, but I still think working with film can provide you with a better fundamental understanding of the craft. For instance, I never fully understood curves before learning about film response curves.
    Henrik Lauridsen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Necator View Post
    What sadden me a bit was, that this school actually teaches future photographers, but still decided to get rid of their darkrooms. I know that 99,9% of what these to-be photographers would be working on will be digital equipment, but I still think working with film can provide you with a better fundamental understanding of the craft. For instance, I never fully understood curves before learning about film response curves.
    I agree with your point on film curves, analogue photography makes one think about tone reproduction from the beginning. Do you know any more about why they decided to close down their darkrooms?

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    I agree with your point on film curves, analogue photography makes one think about tone reproduction from the beginning. Do you know any more about why they decided to close down their darkrooms?

Tom
    This particular darkroom was closed down because the photography classes had been moved to another location, elsewhere in Copenhagen. From what I understood, they did not want the enlargers there, as they where no longer using them. But, on the schools web page, it does say that the photography education will involve the use of enlargers, film development etc. So, guess not all hope is lost
    Henrik Lauridsen

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin