Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,824   Online: 727

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dark enough so as things develop.
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rx7speed View Post
    I admit haven't read the whole discussion yet but you all would cring at my darkroom from the sounds of it. I have no door to my darkroom. no double bends curtain, nothing. it's an old coal room and so no windows though the little "window/door" like that that allows you to move the coal into the house isn't sealed that great from light eithr. right outside the door though and off to the side there is one of those small basement windows. they are actually scattered about downstairs.

all I really do though is make sure the lights ustairs are turned off right next to the stairs and in the living room, put my back to the door and have the enlarger sitting on the floor with all my chems as well. so far haven't had problems even when leaving some paper out and about in the open with it fogging up or whatnot.
    Is there a difference between 'not having problems' and not 'knowing about them'? Can you post some prints?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wclark5179 View Post
    Dark enough so as things develop.
    Bill

Your post is kind of lost without the reference it was made to.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Come on Ralph let your imagination wander a wee bit.

What do you think I meant?

Could be several ideas.

Have a wonderful week & weekend.
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My mentor, some 50-odd years ago, would have told you that it needs to be...

'As black as the Earl o' Hell's waistcoat'

ken
    Quando omni flunkus moritati (R. Green)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ...so far haven't had problems even when leaving some paper out and about in the open with it fogging up or whatnot.
    Ah, but there's the rub. There could be just enough exposure to stray light to rob the prints of contrast, but not enough to cause obvious fog. In other words, the paper could be exposed to just under the threshold where it becomes visible. Since exposure is cumulative, when you expose the print you drive the fog level past the threshold.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How dark?

Mind-numbing, sensory-depravation, terror-inducing, unimaginable to contemplate, insanity-creating, you should fear for your very survival, as if you unexpectedly awoke inside your grave with proof there is no God... dark.

It either is, or is not. There is no try...

Ken

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Is there a difference between 'not having problems' and not 'knowing about them'? Can you post some prints?
    I can post prints but they will have problems but that is due to other problems. so far haven't been able to get a set of negatives that aren't thin so my prints are usually lacking contrast as well as my lack of developing skill leads to some problems as well. BUT you will at least be able to see the edges of the prints compared to the print itself and see how much light is putting a general fog on the unexposed parts of the paper.

Shooter
    35mm
    I can post prints but they will have problems but that is due to other problems. so far haven't been able to get a set of negatives that aren't thin so my prints are usually lacking contrast as well as my lack of developing skill leads to some problems as well. BUT you will at least be able to see the edges of the prints compared to the print itself and see how much light is putting a general fog on the unexposed parts of the paper.
    What you aren't realizing is that the most insidious fog, the kind that wrecks your VII, won't develop in the edges or paper white. It gives the paper a "start". More exposure gives fog in your exposed areas of paper. It makes things dingy in your high tones, and wrecks that little sparkle that makes a print truly great if everything else is in order. Test with pre-flashed paper. I'm not talking about the kind of thing where you pull the paper out of the fix and it looks like an LA horizon. Maybe you have a problem maybe you don't, but if you do, and you don't know it, you are thwacking your head against an invisible wall. So many miss this point! It isn't something you can readily see, until you fix it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wclark5179 View Post
    Come on Ralph let your imagination wander a wee bit.

What do you think I meant?

Could be several ideas.

Have a wonderful week & weekend.
    Bill

No I don't, and I hate to second guess what you meant. It would help if you 'reply with quote'. Save a lot of time for the reader.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin