Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,527   Posts: 1,543,940   Online: 1094

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: DIY safelight

Shooter
    Large Format
    I agree with laphro, that red LED bulb is exactly what I am using now, works very well, I live in Taiwan, and 3 watts red LED bulb is available in E27 standard thread in market now, they said 5 watts are coming soon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ricksplace View Post
    The light was too intense. If you take a sheet of paper and hold it up against your safelight, it will fog immediately. Intensity is proportional to the square of the distance, and lasers don't lose their intensity the same way as diffuse light does.
    Exactly, but why is light at a wavelength outside the spectral sensitivity of the paper creating an exposure?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's a phenomena where light that in theory is completely safe has an effect on an emulsion, if the intensity is high enough it can have an effect on an emulsion, it has a name which escapes me at present.

So below a certain intensity the emulsion isn't fogged, the then there's point where the fogging is enough to seriously affect the contrast in VC papers, yet still show no visible fogging.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by salihonba View Post
    I agree with laphro, that red LED bulb is exactly what I am using now, works very well, I live in Taiwan, and 3 watts red LED bulb is available in E27 standard thread in market now, they said 5 watts are coming soon.
    I wish I could find them on the web. I found product specifications but no retailer.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The problem with certain red safelights

The Herschel Effect

If a photographic emulsion is exposed to blue light and subsequently to red light before development, some of the effect of the original exposure are destroyed; this was discovered by Sir John Herschel in 1840.

While this can in theory affect all modern B&W paper emulsions it really only causes problems with VC papers when the wrong safelight is used (too close or at too high an intensity) while the red light may be insufficient to cause physical fogging, but enough to seriously affect the contrast grades achievable.

The early emulsions Herxchel worked with where of course all blue sensitive.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    The problem with certain red safelights

The Herschel Effect

If a photographic emulsion is exposed to blue light and subsequently to red light before development, some of the effect of the original exposure are destroyed; this was discovered by Sir John Herschel in 1840.

While this can in theory affect all modern B&W paper emulsions it really only causes problems with VC papers when the wrong safelight is used (too close or at too high an intensity) while the red light may be insufficient to cause physical fogging, but enough to seriously affect the contrast grades achievable.

The early emulsions Herxchel worked with where of course all blue sensitive.

Ian
    Ian

Wouldn't this be the opposite of fogging?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe, it's called latent image bleach, but it's a detrimental effect of the safelight and often gets overlooked when people wonder why they can't achieve a full range of Contrasts with some VC papers. Some safelight filters are worse than others.

It's fogging in the sense that it's unsafe exposure to too much red light of a harmful intensity.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks all for replying,very appreciate it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, I'll have to pipe in.....consider simple screw in LED lights. I use the OptiLed red and amber 2.5W Festival series lamps. I've found that they are extremely bright and very safe. I use them for lith printing and keep them on the entire development cycle (10 minute range). My darkroom is about 10' x 6' and one lamp is adequate (2 better). I can't imagine using anything else.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use a DIY safe light made out of a 3 lb. coffee can with a red lid. I use a 15 watt bulb. Works for everything, paper and X-ray film. I have it about 4' from the enlarger and 9' from the dev trays.
    Leslie D. Wall
    AKA DeBone75

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin