Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,906   Posts: 1,521,418   Online: 1001

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hoojammyflip View Post
    Yes, but bidder 4 has no ebay history at all...this is the first auction he has bid on. The only reason for him to retract would be if I retracted my bid.
    Everyone on ebay had to start at the beginning and make a first bid.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    It is a bargain when you compare what you paid to what Jobo gear costs new! It ain't cheap. My CPE had been used quite a bit, if yours is in better condition, then it's worth the extra money. It's hard to compare stuff viewed on Ebay. There seems to be a steady stream of Jobo gear on Ebay as people give up on C-41/E6. I'm in the market for a small film drum myself at the moment.

Yes, never bid more than what you are prepared to pay, and never bid days before the auction ends. It's a sorry fact that it seems most auctions are won by bids made in the last few minutes.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the responses, but all is ok. Just spoke to the seller...all appears straight forward. Guess that really is the price of these CPE units in good condition! At least this is cheaper than software, and I can always sell it again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapper View Post

Yes, never bid more than what you are prepared to pay, and never bid days before the auction ends. It's a sorry fact that it seems most auctions are won by bids made in the last few minutes.
    I rarely bid until the last 20 seconds, why drive up the price, I don't use software but I can make multiple (sequential) bids quite quickly always though with a maimum in mind.

In this case the other buyer may have wanted the same item, they are rarely forsale anywhere else so he/she may have decided to give Ebay a chance, It's just luck.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Yep, this was my first significant purchase using Gixen, instead of Auctionstealer. It lets you bid as late as 3 seconds before the auction end, and has a back up server to reduce the risk of missing the close.

The seller seems like a decent chap and I feel a little embarassed I suspected shill bidding. Ebay really is a great price discovery mechanism for old photography kit, just some people muck it up by trying to inflate their auctions.

There was another auction I was watching the other day, where I thought shill bidding was rather blatant...a Vivitar 28mm prime managed to reach GBP 55. Auction ID 120517011278. Just a plain vanilla lens. There was a bidder with no rating in the middle of the auction bidding in increments divisible by exactly a pound, engaging in a bidding war against a resting bid placed at the start of the auction. Pentax K mount...the M series equivalent can be had for around GBP 30.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've seen ebay auctions end with much more dramatic prices changes than that in the last 15 seconds. At least here, ebay has recently made it extremely easy, since the page now auto updates during the last 5 minutes or so. All that is needed is a fast internet connection, and a second window open with your bid confirmation button.

The only sane way to buy on ebay is don't ever bid more than you are willing to pay. Whether you make that bid in the first minute of an auction or the last 5 seconds is just a matter of the tactics you are comfortable with.

FWIW, the unit you bought looks to be in very god condition, so the price isn't necessarily unreasonable, even though it may not be a bargain. Condition matters a lot, since parts are scarce at best and very expensive.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yep, thanks for the reassurance. Now I have to lightproof the room under the stairs and make a trip to Nova for chemicals.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I bid on stuff on eBay all the time But I set my maximum bid, and that is all I would be willing to pay. If I get lucky., fine otherwise wait for another day l One of the dangers of all auctions is getting caught up in the action and actually paying more than a new piece of equipment would costs.I have seen it a real estate auctions

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hoojammyflip View Post
    Hi, I would really appreciate opinions on pricing of a Jobo CPE 2, which I have just won in an auction on ebay. The price shot to my top bid in the last 10 seconds, at GBP 180. The kit is used but includes a Minilux LED colour light and a couple of thermometers. I saw on the Tim Parkin video that he had paid 150 for his. The seller has a rating of 2, and the other bid came from a bidder who has no history at all. It seems I was shill bidded by a snipe bid. Is this feasible? As a general rule, I believe if you don't know who the loser is, you're the loser...do people think I have overpaid for this. Item number is 200426706130 on ebay.co.uk. Many thanks, I am due to pick this up this weekend.
    What is your problem? I dont wanna call you someting bad, but you did bid 180 quid, didnt you? So again, whats your problem? If you dont know what you are doing, stay the h*** out of a auction. And for your information, i will gladly pay 300 GBP for a good working CPE-2!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There is lots of information availabe on the internet on what those items are worth, so finding out how much you should pay isn't that much of a problem really. I found myself in a similar situation when I bought a CPA2 with a lift a couple of years ago. I knew how much I wanted to pay for a CPA2/CPP2 with a lift, but I were overbid in several auctions before I suddenly found myself as an auction winner with some money to spare as well.
    In short, don't ever bid more than you are like to pay. If the item sells at 50p above your top bid, there's always another auction which you can win.

Anyhow, good that you are happy with the deal.

//Bj÷rn

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin