Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,966   Posts: 1,558,435   Online: 964

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I agree with fotch. If you were willing to pay 180, then it was a fair price. If you paid 80 for it you might feel great about it but the seller would not. Seems like a reasonable deal so long as the unit works. If so, you will easily save the 180 in time and effort in a short time. Most ebay auctions for commonly sought after things heats up at the very end.

On the other hand, I know how you feel. I recently sniped a very expensive item with a relatively lowball bid, but I surprisingly won and had to spend a lot of money for something I absolutely don't need. Now I have to sell it! Maybe I will make some money for film and matboard.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, I have collected the CPE 2, and it doesn't work! Unfortunately, because the guy had a low rating, I paid cash, as I did not like the idea of parting with 180 in advance only to see a deleted account and disappearing seller.

I saw the motor working at his house and thought all was fine. I got it home, put some water in it, and at the lowest temperature setting on the thermostat, the water is maintained at 47 degrees C, (as measured using the two thermometers it came with ). Even worse is the motor is now screeching slowly and is clearly missing some lube and about to seize.

It does look absolutely new, the reel inside the 1520 drum is brand new, as if its never been used. I can only assume the motor has gone bad in the guy's attic. I don't think the guy came across as being dodgy when I met him.

I've contacted the guy on the phone to say its not working, but I think he is taking the stance that it was "sold as seen", particularly given I signed his receipt which said as such (although it also says the thing is working which it clearly doesn't). Do I have any recourse against this?

Cheers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Did the Guy have a low rating, or a low number of sales the two things are entirely different.

You saw the motor working, so I doubt he was a con merchant, could there be a problem , well yes but are you using it properly ?

From the outset of this thread you've been 110% negative since winning the item which is rather odd, almost as if you are the one trying to pull a fast one. There needs to be some realism.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    He had low sales (2).

I have filled it with water, switched the motor to setting 2, the temperature down to 20 C...and it screeches and hits 47 C. When the drum is mounted, sometimes it rotates back and forth, as it should, but then the speed changes, from being swift when the motor is not screeching, to slowing right down when the motor is screeching. I am concerned the motor will burn out, so have switched the thing off and put it back in the box.

Please take it easy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Chalk it up as a hard lesson and seeing how the motor ran when you picked it up...

Perhaps have someone who is familiar with Jobos take a look, might be something simple although lube might explain the screeching (or someone took the top off and didn't replace it properly, dunno). As for the temperature, maybe the sensor or heater is caked in calcium and throwing things off ?

Either way, good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hoojammyflip View Post
    He had low sales (2).

I have filled it with water,...
    I hope you didn't totally fill the drum as that may be why there is a screeching noise.
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't comment on the value of a CPE 2 because I have not researched it sufficiently.

However I do feel qualified to comment on auction tactics, having worked in the old-fashioned face-to-face auction industry for sixteen years. Many times we used to be amused at the prices some people would pay - more than new price. So the first rule of bidding at any auction is to know the true market value of the item, set your maximum price, and do not exceed it under any circumstances. The second rule is to not bid early because there will always be someone in the crowd who is prepared to outbid you. Live auctions are somewhat more difficult than eBay from the buyer's point of view because all the other bidders and the auctioneer can see you and in the auctioneer's case at least, read your body language. It is also unpredictable as to exactly what moment the auctioneer will terminate the auction.

I have bought over two hundred photographic items on eBay (damn GAS) using the above two rules and I have never had regrets about paying too much or being the victim of a "shill" bid. I use Auction Sentry Deluxe to do my bidding in the last few seconds, and I probably lose twice as many auctions as I win because of earlier high bids or other bidders using similar software. That's life. It is not illegal and I don't believe that it is immoral, although some do. At least I don't have to get up at 3 AM to put in a bid for something on the other side of the world.

Cheers, Peter.

Shooter
    35mm
    The unit looks new though, as if its never been used. I am just going to try and get a full refund and find another one/buy one from the place Keith listed previously. Just in case, do Jobo still provide replacement parts from their German office? I looked at their website and it appears they might.

Shooter
    35mm
    As discussed above, 180 was deemed ok for a new unit. This unit appeared to be in new condition. I always use a sniping tool, and never bid over my initial fair valuation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jobo does still exist, and they do have parts for some units, though they haven't made the CPE for some time. However, as a guess, a motor for your unit, if they have one, might cost as much as you've paid. If you can't settle with the seller, your best bet is likely to see if the motor can be lubricated, or serviced.
    If it works well when the unit isn't heated, then using it at room temperature might be an option, unless you are planning to use it for color.
    If the seller won't settle, see if he can give you information as to the unit's history. That might help in diagnosing, or figuring out a plan of action.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin